Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Put a Kill-a-Watt or other meter on those and see how far off the real operating draw is from the peak draw that the label lists. My comment of the .4 Amp operating draw vs. 1.2 Amp nameplate rating is based on actual measurements on a 17" CRT monitor.

Reply to
Pete C.

Absolutely. I repair most everything myself and get far more useful service life from most items than I expect the average person does.

Reply to
Pete C.

There is nothing selfish about being practical and frugal. Those who suggest there is are typically trying to justify their ego stroking activities.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think he was trying to say that the water flowing through a hydroelectric generating facility has the same available energy whether you utilize it or not, so you may as well utilize all that is available.

Reply to
Pete C.

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

IIRC,I recall reading that 15% of the TV viewership in the US does not have cable(or dish TV).

I could be wrong,though.

But that crap about "who's on an antenna anyways?" is elitist. Cable/dishTV is not free.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

my 12" Quasar CRT TV says max 55 watts on it's back. IIRC,my 15" PC CRT monitor had similar consumption. My old 19" JVC CRT TV's manual says 123W.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

No, generator output is roughly proportional to the volume of water used so it would require substantially more water flow to raise the generator output 150x.

Reply to
George

I specified hydroelectric and that is indeed what I meant.

Red

Reply to
Red

That number is probably correct, but like many other statistics for such a large and diverse country as the US, it is somewhat deceptive. In many urban areas the OTA market is probably less than 1% while in rural areas OTA may be 75%. Either way, OTA as a whole is struggling to adapt to their rapidly shrinking market.

No, it isn't and down the road OTA may not be free either.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

Then they want us to convert to electric autos... Using nuclear power plants will eliminate even more mercury emissions.

If anything,we should be converting our coal to auto fuels,and drilling in ANWR for more US oil.And buying from Canada.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If you put an actual meter on them you'll find their operating draw is a fair amount less. That max is based on cold startup which includes short duration loads such as the degaussing coil around the CRT.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

the "must-carry" "stink" was mostly by religious broadcasters who would get left out or stuck in the least desirable channels if left to market conditions.Even home shopping is more popular than religious broadcasting.(which is mostly profitable for the preacher's lifestyles.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

I know,I work in electronics. I was just citing some actual TV examples.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What we really should do is:

- Quickly build a number of new nuclear plants (which have a long safe emissions free track record)

- Shut down all of the emissions belching coal and NG plants

- Provide separately metered very low cost electricity for charging electric vehicles / plug in hybrids

- Provide low cost NG for commercial vehicles, providing an incentive to convert some of the critical trucking from diesel.

- Drill ANWR using the proven clean, safe directional drilling technology from a limited number of locations located at the edges of ANWR and having near zero environmental impact.

- Provide support for development of practical renewable resources as appropriate for a given area, without preferences that lead to impractical development that leads to construction of facilities for the initial subsidies and then subsequent write off of operating losses.

- Provide protection from baseless NIMBY lawsuits, baseless environmentalist lawsuits, HOA restrictions, etc. for development and installation of renewable facilities, both commercial and private.

Plenty more that should be done, but those are starters. Of course something like this starts to become a comprehensive energy policy, something our useless government (both left and right wings) can't manage to put together.

Reply to
Pete C.

The 1.2A nameplate vs. .4A operating I cited was based on an actual 17" CRT monitor.

Reply to
Pete C.

But that isn't what you said. The volume and head (height) of the water determine how much energy can be produced at the turbine.

It takes a lot more water or much greater height to turn a 150 megawatt turbine than it takes to turn a 1 megawatt turbine.

I am not a hydraulic engineer, it just makes sense.

Reply to
Dan Espen

They passed a light bulb bill, I can't remember the other bill.

One Senator here is called "Pinkey" or something like that. The other one is a Veterinarian. Don't tell me I'm in luck!

Reply to
Oren

Hi, The high tech commercial version with solar charger is a reality which at present beyond common consumer market. Banff main street just underwent a total facelift and that's what they chose. It's real thing!

60W light bulb comparable LED one is ~80.00 at present. Think it's matter o time the swill drop. My sauna interior and exterior light is LED packs with multi-color option for mood. I can set it to single color or dancing random color. No heat, no burning for LONG time.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have no doubt LEDs will get where they need to be fairly quickly. Certainly the LED traffic signals and LED warning light bars are now quite good. The 60W equiv. LED light for $80 is competing with CFLs at $1.50 and with a color temperature and light distribution that just isn't acceptable yet. Fix the color temp, light distribution and get the cost down to $20 and they'll probably start selling in reasonable quantity.

Reply to
Pete C.

Looks like I'll be going back to kerosene lamps and candles for lighting. I wont allow those compact florescents anywhere near my home. I almost lost my home last year because of one of these things. The damn thing caught on fire. Luckily I was able to put it out, but not without significant damage to my ceiling and destroying the light fixture.

Once again, Bush is taking away our freedoms as American citizens. Next he's mandate we are only allowed to use one square of toilet paper per day and will require we all spend our own money to buy the toilet paper sheet counter. What makes this any different from taking away our tv signal and forcing everyone on the country to buy a converter. Of course the gov't dont tell us the whole reason for this. That's because the cellphone companies paid the gov't to steal our airwaves so they can make big profits from them.

Of course after they take away our guns, they'll start sending people to prison for possessing incandescent lightbulbs shipped by ebay sellers from the UK, while taxpayers pay the prison expenses and pay to have lightbulb detectors installed at every post office.

To say it exactly the way I feel. Bush and his whole corrupt political party can go straight to hell. If he wants to send his goon squad to my home to inspect my lightbulbs, this old man still knows how to kill, courtesy of the Republican party's very own Nixon sending me to Nam, to fight another useless Republican inspired war.

The best way to fight the goons in Washington is to disconnect yourself from their system. Produce your own wind powered electricity, heat with firewood, make your own auto fuel, and barter for everything to avoid paying taxes to these crooks. I'd really like them to come and tell me to disconnect the incandescent bulbs from my own wind generator. I'd really like to see them try !!!

Daryl

Reply to
daryldeni