Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

Page 2 of 16
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Nah, been there, done that.
I was an administrative assistant to a U.S. Senator who was on the Armed Services Committee. Been to the White House more than once (three times, actually). Those people work too hard.
Bush is hardly a retard - he has an MBA from Harvard.

Of course if Bush is indeed a retard, what does that make those to whom he has handed their own ass???

I'm talking about this Bush:
"I don't particularly like it when people put words in my mouth, either, by the way, unless I say it."Crawford, Texas, Nov. 10, 2007
You must be talking about a different person.
"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000
"She's just trying to make sure Anthony gets a good mealAntonio."On Laura Bush inviting Justice Antonin Scalia to dinner at the White House. NBC Nightly News With Tom Brokaw, Jan. 14, 2001
"I am mindful of the difference between the executive branch and the legislative branch. I assured all four of these leaders that I know the difference, and that difference is they pass the laws and I execute them."Washington, D.C., Dec. 18, 2000
"For a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times."Tokyo, Japan, Feb. 18, 2002
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You left out the quote that explains all of the above:
"They misunderestimate me."
A figure from an earlier time called it "Rope-A-Dope."

Really? That would probably disourage even MORE rogue states.
We start bombing in five minutes.
--
<snotty grin>
JR

That latest intelligence stinker about Iran seems to have stopped him from waving his dick around for the moment. Now, if only we could silence people like HeyBub. There's a large contingent like him, who, given a choice between going to a strip club and seeing a mushroom cloud over Tehran, would choose the bomb. It's one thing to know that war is sometimes unavoidable. It's another thing to fantasize about it in the shower.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Heh! I'm in Texas which just implemented a "Pole Tax."
Patrons at strip clubs now have to pay a $5.00 state tax just to get in. Fortunately, that doesn't affect me or my buddies because we're more into devising schemes to kill Iranians, relatives of Iranians, or anybody who ever knew an Iranian.
War is, as you said, often unavoidable. Sometimes it comes like a thief in the night, by surprise. Sometimes we plan it in advance. Either way, we need a war every 15-20 years to keep our skills sharp, to train the next generation of warriors, and to serve notice on those who would do us harm.
And it's fullfilling.
Look at the current conflict. 85% of those who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan have re-upped at every opportunity. The 15% who declined to continue serving include, mostly, those invalided out and those who retired.
Face it, there are those we call "warriors," who run to the sound of the guns, who get their primary satisfaction in life out of killing people and blowing things up. It has always been thus.
We march. For our lands. For our families. For our freedoms. We march... Into the Hot Gates we march. Into that narrow corridor we march, where Xerxes numbers count for nothing. Spartans. Citizen soldiers. Freed slaves. Brave Greeks all. Brothers. Fathers. Sons. We march. For honor's sake, for duty's sake, for glory's sake, we march. Into Hell's mouth we march. ... From free Greek to free Greek the word was spread - that bold Leonidas and his 300, so far from home, lay down their lives, not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds.
Now, here on this rugged patch of earth, Xerxes hordes face obliteration!
Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight... knowing full well what merciless horrors they endured at the swords and spears of 300. They sit there now, across the plain, looking at TEN THOUSAND Spartans, commanding thirty thousand free Greeks!
The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Greek!
This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a future brighter than anything we can imagine.
For brave Leonidas and the 300, to victory!

We're making progress. At least you admit that he HAS a dick. <g>

If HE is ever legally silenced, I expect that YOU will have been squelched well before him. Silencing opposing speech is a dangerous thing. Every - and I mean EVERY - time it has been tried, a big war promptly ensues.

I'm not as convinced of that as you.
Our parents (and grandparents) "let the genie out of the bottle" in 1945. By some miracle, it hasn't been used since. That is an incredible accomplishment that I fully support and hope will continue forever.
However, if we are ever "nuked" (dirty or explosive), I believe we should explosively nuke the offending nation in reply.

Your honesty and civility in usenet is refreshing.

Now THAT is a scary thought, indeed. God forbid such a person ascend to high, influential office.
--
:)
JR

HeyBub is a member of the 54%. His affliction is passed on through genetics and upbringing. Only sterilization will solve the problem.

It's too late. The 54% spoke twice, and put one of their own in the White House.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In spite of an occassional setback, we will prevail. It's the "Roe Effect."
For those that don't know, the "Roe Effect" is the result of legalizing abortion.
It is estimated that, in 1982, there were 50,000 abortions in Florida. Those that were not born in 1982 would have been eligible to vote in 2000. Bush won Florida, and with it the presidency, by 500-odd votes.
A more detailed explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_effect
The liberals are destroying their seed corn.
Regretable, but we conservatives always try to look on the bright side.
HeyBub wrote:

That sounds bogus to me. I doubt legalizing abortion increased the number of abortions by much; it probably had a greater effect by saving the lives of girls who otherwise would have died during illegal abortions. Thus, the numbers of those favoring the policy would INCREASE over time.
CJT wrote:

Oh, but the number of abortions DID increase. At least double. The first numbers I can find showed about 600,000 in 1973 which went up to 1.2 million in 1982 (the year of interest). How many in Florida? I can't find that. But dividing 1.2 million by 50 states yields 24,000 per state. Florida, however, is the 4th largest state in population, so 50,000 abortions in Florida in 1982 sounds reasonable. http://iier.isciii.es/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5407a1.htm#fig1
As for deaths during abortion, NARAL estimates about 1,000 per year prior to Roe in 1973. 1,000 out of 600,000 isn't a significant amount.

I wonder if there was anything preventing abortions from being accurately reported and counted when it was illegal? LOL!

Take it easy on the idiot. You might cause him to have a seizure.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The figures I cited were from the Centers for Disease Control.
While not precise (for the implied reasons you mentioned), they are probably pretty accurate. The number of deaths attributed to botched abortions are not only accurate but also precise.

It doesn't matter where the numbers came from, you twit. The procedure was illegal at one time. So, the reported numbers are almost guaranteed to be inaccurate and cannot be used to compare against the numbers after the procedure became legal.
You might want to remain silent on subjects like this until you've obtained your G.E.D.

Birth rate is a pretty good proxy, though -- and the U.S. birth rate was *much* lower after the Roe vs. Wade decision than before it. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005067.html
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I think the causality link implied by this analysis needs scrutiny.

Only if you're an idiot.

Speaking of idiots, Kanter -- how did you possibly miss the fact that an increasing abortion rate means a declining birth rate?