GOOD toilet that flushes in ONE flush?

Page 1 of 3
Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more flushes to really flush the shit. The tanks properly fill and properly release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of water to do the job right.
Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?
thanks
Ignoramus17503 wrote:

I have had good success with Kohler Wentworth, bonus is that they are not too expensive. I have installed three of them. Toto has good reputation but may be more $$$. I have some American Standard in new house and sometimes require multiple flushes or they get clogged easily.

Toilets used to have 3-gallon tanks. Then the ecology people got a law passed that made 3-gallaon toilets illegal (to buy new). Now we are saving water. I guess they need a new law to make it illegal to flush twice, but that is another issue.

A 3-gallon tank might still be found at auctions and such. eBay?

Good joke, and what you said makes a lot of sense.

Are you saying that I can no longer buy a 3-5 gallon tank? That's kind of outrageous.
Buy a Toto Drake and you will be very pleased. This toilet blows away any other toilet in its priced range. We are paying just under $200.00 here in AZ.
Craig

Thanks. Do you know what makes it better than others?
All the passageways are smooth porcelain and maybe engineered for better flow. There was a thread in the past month or so that had a link to Canadian and US government toilet testing and the Toto Drake did very well.
Craig

cm wrote:

Here's the test report:
http://www.cuwcc.org/uploads/product/MaP-6th-Edition-2-10-06.pdf
Ignoramus17503 wrote:

I bought 2 of the new low water volume toilets (Kohler) when I remodeled. Boy, was I pissed at the performance! Then I noticed in Lowes that they sold separate flappers for LV and standard tanks. On a whim, I replaced the LV flapper with a standard flapper and it made a big difference. Not quite like the old tanks, but a LOT better than it came out of the box. One flush now works about 90% of the time versus about 20% before. Bob

That's very strange. Do you have ANY idea what the difference is in the flappers?

Ignoramus17503 wrote:

American Standard, Champion model.
There are other brands that do well also - I just have first hand experience with this one.
One thing to keep in mind is that many of these "mega flush" type models don't clean the bowl as well as regular toilets, and can be noisy during flushing (this may or may not matter to you).
Good luck, Budman
Budman wrote:

Although I'm a little embarassed to admit it........I tend to notice toilet brands & how well (or poorly) they preform.
Based on my unscientific study the toliet the Budman suggests is probably the only low water usage toilet that worked......
Champion model. by American Standard is the only one I would buy. Get this model you will be pleased with it..
Rather impressive since my 1930 house house the original American Standard toilets.
cheers Bob

Kohler Wellworth is a good choice. I've replaced 2 of our terrible early 90's era low flow toilets with these and am very pleased. I have also tried the American Standard Champion, it's also very good, but does not wash down the bowl as well as the Wellworth. The Champion also has a loud "clunk" when the handle is pressed that takes some getting used to. I ended up replacing it with a Wellworth because the Champion required constant bowl cleaning.
-- Paul
Ignoramus17503 wrote:

In the old days just about any design would flush with all the water they used. Today they are required to use less water. Not a bad idea. However in order to work well, they need to be well designed. Look for a trap size larger than 2 inches and a fully glazed trap. While there are a number of other factors, you are not likely to find one that fits those two things that does not flush well. The unglazed 1 traps don't do well.
You do not need to spend a lot of money. Many of the very expensive models have poor mechanical designs, but they look fancy and that is what tends to sell them.
You can also check out Consumer Reports and other rating sources.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Thanks. I think that I understand what the issues are, now, thank you.

Look into toilets by Toto. I put a couple in my house about a year ago and since then, I've lost my plunger.
http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206th%20Edition%20Feb%2010%202006.pdf
cheers, cc
The OLD style flushers are still available BRAND NEW on e bay from canada.
To the OP did your toilets work OK for years and then go bad? or did they never work good?
if you use a bucket of water do they flush well?
if they used to work good and dont anymore but work good with a bucket theres a 5 buck fix you can try before replacing the toliets.

And what is that?
David
In the last three years we have installed 5 Toto "Drake" ADA height 2 piece toilets, two in our home and 3 in rental units, replacing a variety of newer (less than 5 years old) units.
These were all locations were I had been plunging frequently, I've not had to plunge any of these bathrooms since - the difference is really quite remarkable.
Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspections, LLC Chicago, IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom 8four7-475-5668
By and large, the most important spec is the trap diameter. Many have 1.5" and they are the ones that clog. 1.75" is better but 2" seems to be the largest. I got an Elger one piece toilet with a 2" trap and it has never clogged yet.