Good small LED flashlights

Page 3 of 4

Try LED Mag lights, in the D cell version. They are very effective.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

As I understand it, the primary limitation on light output from an LED is the temperature of the LED in operation. At output levels exceeding 3 watts, at the present technology, the internal soldered/brazed junctions melt and the LED fails. Due to the brief time a "flash" LED is illuminated, such is in a cell phone camera, heating isn't that much of a problem and higher output levels can be attained. Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth
On 06/07/10 10:57 AM, Nonny wrote:

This is true. The semiconductor junction gets extremely hot and needs an elaborate heat sink, but there's only so much area of the junction that you can attach the heat sink to, so there's a limit to how much heat you can dissipate.

I like just a little light. Some of my pet peeves are: People who need four Coleman lanterns (or one even) at a campsite. People who have those terribly bright dim headlights. People who have those terribly bright dim headlights who then find it necessary to drive with their "fog" lights on where there is clear skies and 50 mile visibility, making them look like they have their lights on bright, not dim.
If a person uses a small amount of light, it is amazing what they can see. When camping, I carry one of the one bulb LEDs with the button battery in my pocket. I have seen them for free at conventions, and get all I can. Everyone I give one to asks me if I can get any more, as they lost theirs or broke it, or people ask them for one. But some are afraid of the dark, or for whatever reason need to light up the area until everything is WHITE! It is amazing what one can see in only moonlight IF they keep the f'ing lights off long enough for their eyes to adjust.
Steve

Yes, those can be a bit much.

What's amazing is that you assume what works for you also works for everyone else.

....or perhaps just be able to see!
Little known fact: Not everyone sees as well as you.
nb

It's amazing how much light is lost to cataracts. As I aged, I noticed that reading in restaurants became difficult and even when driving, it never seemed to be bright enough. Remember, also, that your dept of field decreases with the pupil increasing in size. Even with new lens implants, I still don't see as well in low light conditions as I did when younger.
YMMV
As for the Harbor Freight-type flashlights, I love them. They weigh little and are perfect for trips to the backyard to check up on the smoker.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.
My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No, it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to want rooms more brightly lit than I want them. -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!
On 7/7/2010 2:27 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:

I'm very nearsighted and the more light, the better for me. This is because like a camera, when the iris is closed to a smaller size, the depth of field (area in focus) is greater. I have lights all over the place and I usually carry one or more flashlights with me wherever I go.
TDD
Usually, I wear eye glasses for these moments.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Then you're farsighted.
If you need "reading" glasses, here's a trick. Get your eyes examined by a professional and get a script for magnifying contact lenses (a "+" value).
Wear only one.
On 7/7/2010 7:08 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Sorry, I'm an expert on myopia going on 60 years. I wear concave not convex lenses. My lenses move the point of focus back so the light will focus on my retinas. I'm -9 in one eye and -6.5 in the other. I am nearsighted. Presbyopia started bothering me around age 50 and I often take my glasses off in order to see very close up.
TDD
I've got a set of milder lenses, in the van for when I'm doing bench work.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 7/8/2010 8:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

That sounds like my computer glasses. A weaker prescription for watching my computer screen.
TDD
message wrote:

Have you looked into LASIK or even implantable lenses? I was around -8 in both eyes and wore glasses since 2nd grade. At 51, I had LASIK done. I laid on the table and in 5 minutes was told to sit up. There was no pain or sensation at all. The next morning, I was 20-25 in both eyes and that improved to 20-15 within a month. It was almost like a miracle.
Later, cataracts came along and it was back under the knife, so to speak. Again, the morning after the surgery, the implanted lenses had taken me back to 20-25 and again by the end of a month, I was 20-20 and could read menus in dim light again.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Lasik certainly isn't for everyone. I can see distances fine (don't understand where the astigmatism came from recently, though), but need glasses (bifocals) for close work. Basically, Lasik would trade my distance vision for short distances. Not a good trade.
BTW, I didn't start wearing cheaters until I was almost 55 and within six months I had bifocals. That was three years ago.

They are good at that stuff.
On 7/8/2010 12:54 PM, Nonny wrote:

I got my first pair of glasses when I started first grade and when the optician slipped my eyeglasses on for the first time, I exclaimed, "So that's where all the noise is coming from!"
TDD
On 07/07/10 08:47 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Only -9? I'm -11.75 in one eye and not much better in the other. I've been wearing hard contacts for 40+ years -- during which time I've lost three. And for the past few years I've needed reading and computer glasses (two different pairs) as well. "Fortunately" (??) I may need cataract surgery within the next few years, so they'll be able to fix the distance vision and maybe even (with "adaptive" or "multi-focal" lenses) the presbyopia as well.
Perce

I got my first contacts when I was in college 40 years ago and of course they where the hard plastic. I loved it when I got soft contacts and the level of comfort was so much better but I haven't worn contacts for years because I can't wear them when I'm working due to all the crap that can get into my eyes.
TDD