Good small LED flashlights

Page 1 of 4

I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells. (I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have 40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without reversing and ruining one.)
I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to use with one hand.
Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies. -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
Last year I picked up a Dorcy at Sears. Uses 2 AAs and I liked it so much I purchased 2 more to keep in other places..Switch is a push button on the end..and cost $20.00 in a package of 2, they have a few other brand but I do like these.

Subject: "five watt" flashlights follow up Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:01 PM
Runs about 3.5 hours on alkaline batteries. Draws about 0.75 amps. After 3 hours, the cells were down to about 1.13 volts. It didn't last long after that.
With NiMH cells, draws about 0.73 amps, so the brightness is about the same. I'd guess the run time depednds on the capacity of the NiMH cells. The Rayovacs from Walmart should be about 3 hours, maybe 2.5 hours.
Still, longer than the "about an hour" from my tactical Xenon.
http://tinyurl.com/yz5gots
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=Torch-CA34 These "five watt" lights. The current draw is actually two watts. But, it's brighter than my one watt Luxeon, and takes the convenient (and less expensive) AA cells.
I'm going to keep using my mini mag for pocket carry, simply cause I'm used to the size, and twisty function. These are (almost) the same size as the Mini Mag. But, these would make good tool box lights. Since I already have a pocket carry light. Shame they didn't come with belt cases. I've got enough mini mag cases, that likely fit just fine. Belt carry might be good for working security, or some place where having a spare light would be useful.
The light is about the same bright (indoor test) as my Ultrafire Xenon. But much cheaper batteries, and probably longer run time. The Ultrafire is crisply white light, the LED is slightly blue. More blue than my Teralux. Well worth ten bucks, I think.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Harbor Freight and Home Depot have ones like that. WW
Daniel Prince wrote:

The free ones at HF exactly fit your requirements except they use 3 AAA batteries.
You won't find a single-cell led light as they require 3.6 volts (usually).
Rechargeable batteries in a flashlight is generally a bad move - the go bad just sitting there.
On 7/5/2010 10:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

He said he wanted good. Those Harbor Freight flashlights are novelty class. I have one good CREE single cell flashlight that has multiple intensities. Those Harbor Freight flashlights have significantly less intensity then the lowest intensity of my flashlight.
I have a holster for it and also a velcro holder for use as a headlight on the bike.
I used to have a whole bunch of various flashlights and it is just one of those things that if you haven't used a good one you don't know what you are missing and once you get one you wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago.
The light I have has an easily replaceable end cap which has the push button switch. So the most likely failure point is easy to fix.

On ebay right now, if you act FAST, there is a CREE for $759. Plus shipping.
As for me, my wife owns a giftware business. I buy them by the dozen from suppliers. They are the Outback brand, and IIRC, we pay about $3 per. They are the 16 LED, or it's a one LED with a reflector to make it look like it has 16 LEDs, I haven't taken one apart yet.
For the greater part, most of my flashlights will meet a premature death, getting soaked in water, leaking batteries, getting smashed, or just life.
I would never go out and spend big money on a LED, no matter if I won the lottery. There's something in me that won't let me pay more than $10 for a little flashlight.
A police officer in Boulder City, Nevada was saved when a bullet struck his flashlight instead of him. The papers and company got high mileage out of that, touting what a good flashlight it was. It was not mentioned whether they field fire compared it with a $3 Outback, as the Outback has a metal frame, also. Just not the titanium, or whatever the spendy one the PO was wearing at the time. They did not state that officers have also been spared death of serious injury from bullets striking their badges, radios, wallets, money clips, and other things.
As to which one to buy, I don't have a clue. Go to the stores and shop for one that has the features you want. For me, a flashlight is a flashlight. Sure, some are better, and if you need one for a special purpose, get one. What you want to spend is up to you.
But, I wouldn't wait too long on that CREE on ebay. At $759, it's a bargain, and it won't last long. There's a buy-it-now on it.
Steve
George wrote:

I disagree completely. The HF flashlights are cast aluminum (not extruded), not plastic or thin steel. The have a switch, not a sliding contact, they have 9 LEDs, not three or five. They are rugged, dependable, exhibit long battery life, and work under water.
Heck, I'd pay as much as a dollar for them if they weren't free!

A flashlight is (usually) a single-purpose tool. If it puts out sufficient light for the project, one has to call it good. There are few other considerations and what ones there are, are trivial (except, perhaps, cost).
And I *know* what a good flashlight is. During my cop days I carried a 5-cell Maglite. The company asserted that if the flashlight failed during its use as an offensive or defensive weapon, the company would replace it. I never had to take advantage of the guarantee!
George wrote:

In addition, the HF flashlights come in colors to match your political persuasion: Red (Republican), Blue (Democrat), and Black.
Black for pirates, matey?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Got one at Walgreens.

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to neighbors.
You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.
Rudy wrote:

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED bulbs in them.

Number of led's means nothing. Look for lumen output.
Frank wrote:

Better test. Used one when the power went out for several hours the other night and it was fine.
Great testimony. Glad it worked for you. I find the HFT free lights have terrible machining for the threads. Needs a bit of grease, on the threads. The cheap carbon zinc cells aren't all that great.
I take the cheap batteries out, and use them in my remote reading thermometer, to use them up. And then put alkalines in as needed.
Like many folks, I have several of the HFT free lights. I store them without batteries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Maybe it's a difference in Harbor Freight stores, but I took the batteries out of 4 HFT lights I have sitting right her by my computer. I got them over the past 2-3 months with the free coupons. Every one of them has alkaline batteries in them, so YMMV. My friend and I joke that the batteries alone are worth the drive to get the free lights.
Nonny
--
On most days,
its just not worth
On 7/6/2010 6:36 AM, LouB wrote:

Number of LEDs mean nothing. They build them that way because the old technology LEDs are significantly less expensive.
You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED light. I have a flashlight that has a CREE LED and it has multiple intensities. The lowest intensity is significantly brighter than those Harbor Freight flashlight.
George wrote:

Oh well, but the price is still right.