Good quality screw drivers that don't smell?

Page 1 of 3
I have some craftsman screwdrivers and if I put them in a closed box the whole box will have a stench next time I open it. Apparently, the xcelite handles emits the odor.
Is there a way to permenantly clean off this odor?
For future reference, what brand of screwdrivers are of decent quality and don't have smelly handles?
bob wrote:

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever. If the handle is clear or very shiney, it's probably vinyl.
The only screwdriver I've seen that uses a different plastic is the Buck Brothers 6-in-1 screw/nut driver that Home Depot sells for $2.97. Its handle is polyethylene (like DeWalt handheld power tools), which has no plasticizers and is almost odorless:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/b6/b6bc3b7f-db47-4cd8-8b15-16e15c4557bd_300.jpg

I think the problem is that almost all screwdriver handles are made of vinyl, which contains plasticizers that evaporate forever, or cellulose butyrate (whatever that is). If the handle is clear or very shiney, it's probably one of those plastics.
On 6/5/2011 5:23 AM, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/b6/b6bc3b7f-db47-4cd8-8b15-16e15c4557bd_300.jpg
Tool handles are usually cellulose acetate plasticized with phthalates. Don't think they should smell but maybe there is trace acetic acid that is causing odor. Cheap Chinese plastic?

Time. My Craftsman drivers don't smell- They are about 40 years old.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p2208&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=1
And when you aren't working with them you can just gaze at the Rosewood and rub them.<g>
I'm guessing they make lousy chisels- and I'd hesitate before I opened a can of paint with them.
Jim

**Some years ago I got a toobox and a pile of cheap tools for my wife to use around the house. Every time I open the box, it smells like someone puked in it.
The best screwdrivers I've ever used are made by a company called Westward, and sold by Grainger. The handles are a gray rough plastic in a sort of oval shape. You can get a really good grip on them, even with sweaty or greasy hands, plus they don't smell

I have smelled new craftsman screwdrivers like OP has. Use them more and leave toolbox open when not in use so smell can go away:)
craftman screwdrivers now RUST EASILY, no doubt a way to save money
Sears sold off the craftsman tool line to raise money, the co combined sears k mart company is in serious danger of going out of business, or so said a news report recently.
I avoid sears !
Their aggressive selling of credit cards, and making me wait while the cashier processes their application ticked me off.
my turn in line, I had waited 15 minutes for others to get cards.just 3 people had been ahead of me
So I said call a manager, I asked the manager are you a retailer or a credit card supplier?
sir were trying to provide a service to our customers.
me i waited all this time unnecessarily, you need more staff if your going to do the card thing.
heres my merchandise you can put it back i dont want it, 500 buck sale gone, oh and incidently my next stop in your store was for a washer and dryer, i am headed for home depot:)........ i am done shopping at sears.
apparently seras has ticked off many of its customers, sales are reported poor
I havent bought anything there for years, except swap out some craftsman tools, and the newer craftsman tool quality has gone down a lot.......
I think sears will be joing montgomery ward and WT Grant soon in the dust bin of retail history
Some of the most durable screwdrivers I have ever owned are those cheap stanley ones with black and yellow handles, cheap and durable.....
On 6/5/2011 8:41 AM, bob haller wrote:

Well, my old stanleys are red and yellow, not black and yellow, but I was quite happy with them. Of course, that was from when they still had a factory in New Britain CT. Not impressed with their current offerings- no idea where they are made, or by who. They feel wrong in my hand, and the fit and finish seems third-world.
I am more careful with my old tools now, lest they grow legs or get damaged. And at garage sales, any orphan old hand tools that aren't beat to death, are the first thing I look at. Not many of those out there, since most people always bought the cheap stuff, and the people who did buy the good stuff, if they are still breathing, aren't selling it. Sometimes estate sales have good stuff, but the companies that usually handle those around here price them sky-high.
Most of my 'good' tools are Craftsman from 25+ years ago. (and yeah, the screwdrivers did stink the first few years.) My semi-disposable tools for keeping in the cars and under the desk at work, are from wherever I trip across something that seems 'good enough' at a price I can stand. If I see a Sale! sign, and if they have a demo on the display where I can actually turn it over in my hands, I'll look. I won't buy a tool I can't handle first- been burned too many times. If a tool feels right in the hand, it usually is decent quality. If it feels like junk, it usually is.
--
aem sends...

.my turn in line, I had waited 15 minutes for others to get cards.just

I don't know the numbers today,but read an artical about 10 years ago where Sears actually made about 10 times the profit off the credit cards than they did off the murchendise.
Not sure of the rates as I do not use that card, but it is probabaly 20 to 24 % now. That is a lot of profit.

I agree with that, and have a card that I get cash back also. Started charging almost everything to that card just because of the cash back deal.
However there are millions of idiots in the US. Most of them do carry a balance.
Just took out a credit card at Sams Club because they had a deal if you get a card, you get so much money back that day. Probably will never use it again.
-snip-

That's what I thought when I signed up for the $40 instant savings-- but then when I got the first bill, I see it is a cash back card, too. 3% on Sams purchases, I think. I usually only get 1% on groceries so now I charge my Samsclub groceries on their card.
It ain't as good as it was a few years ago, but my credit cards are still paying their rent.<g>
Jim
On 06/05/2011 11:30 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Idiots or broke people. I carried a balance through college because I didn't have enough/make enough money to pay for my books. Whether I made the right decision or not I dunno. Was having this discussion last night. I think my life would have been better if I'd either gone to a state school or trade school instead of the expensive engineering school, because the degree really just got me in the door at interviews and all the good jobs I've had I was unqualified for when I started, and both I and the interviewer knew it (but I talked my way in anyway, e.g. "I'm smart and a fast learner, and am willing to learn and work hard")
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Kmart sears management sold off ALL THEIR NON RETAIL assets to pay down debt. Gone allstate insurance. NTB, sears card credit operation, craftsman and i think kenmore got sold off too.
sears used the non retail assets to keep their company going during economic hard times.
well the economy sucks and sears doesnt have their safety net......
bad planning if you ask me
On 6/5/2011 2:10 PM, bob haller wrote: ...

Sears might be interested in hearing that...
<http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/
Might want to do at least a _little_ checking before spouting...

SEARS HOLDINGS no longer owns the brand, they sold the brand to raise money.
The brand lives on owned by another company, SEARS is a licensee of the craftsman name.
The actual production of tools was always contracted out to companies in the tool business.
few companies do it all......
bob haller wrote the following:

How can they sell off a brand name when they don't even make the products under that brand. Sears does not make anything.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

they sold off the rights to the craftsman name and bought a license agreement to see the tools.
basic dealer realtionship.
take kenmore appliances, there never was a kenmore stove production plant.
Sears kenmore would spec what features they want in the XXX model stove, and put production out for bid.
winner builds the whatever and this keeps costs down
bob haller wrote the following:

Cite please.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 06/05/2011 07:39 AM, bob haller wrote:

Black Friday I bought a tool set at Sears, something like 300 tools in a plastic chest. Already I've found four tools in the set with quality problems.
The 3/8" open-end wrench won't fit around a 3/8" allen wrench. The chrome was flaking off one of the 1/4"-drive deep sockets. The 1/4" drive ratchet doesn't rachet. One of the socketed torx wrenches has the rolled-on size label misaligned.
Those are just the defects I noticed out of the box. I haven't used most of the stuff or inspected it carefully.
And the size labels on the tools are hard to read. Nowadays there is much better technology to make the labels.