Good news for a change (housing)

You're correct. Looking it up, that's a "rare" case, so everybody has to look up the rules for their 401k. Since mine said it had to be paid back in total in 60 days, I opened the line of credit. Probably would have done that even if I could pay back on schedule, as you could. I took the shortest term loan possible, and the payback took a good chunk out of my paycheck. Without a paycheck, and no backup plan, a good chance I would default, and have to pay the penalty and taxes. You always need a backup plan for any action where no plan can screw you. Unless you're okay with getting screwed, which works for some people. Look at all those people carrying a credit card balance. I know plenty, and they're living happy. I never tell anybody how to live their life. And even the best laid plans......

Reply to
Vic Smith

I took the five years to pay it back (interest going into my account), so it wasn't a big deal. I did take nine months off (had a six month severance package + retirement), before I went back to work. I ended up taking a three-month contracting gig for big bux. ;-) A year later I quit that for a real job (at less than half the money) because contracting was otherwise too limiting.

I'm kinda out on a limb now. I'm a little nervous about having two mortgages, but I can afford it.

I wasn't (happy about carrying a balance) and won't any longer. I do borrow money, when it's free but I can pay it back immediately, if necessary.

Nope. Too Democratic. ;-)

That's the truth.

Reply to
krw

One of the best deals I had was on a car. I had the money to buy one for cash, but did not really want to use that money. At the time my credit union was paying 4.5% on a money market account if you had so much money in it. At the same place a car loan was 3.8%. so I was making .7% by having them pay for the car out of the money market account and I did not have to do a thing.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That's certainly a good deal, but I want to know who is paying 4.5% for MM, now. ;-)

Reply to
krw