Good battery backup sump pump

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I recently had my 1 1/2 year-old sump pump break (a cheap one that the plumber installed). I'm looking for a decent sump pump with a battery backup system built in, something with 6+ hours of constant run-time. I've read up on the Basement Watchdog series pumps, which Home Depot and Lowes carry. Are these any good, and built well? I'm looking for something that doesn't have a lot of plastic parts like the pump I currently have, that will break again. I'm also open to alternative brands. If anybody can give me some feedback on the Basement Watchdog models, or suggest other brands, please let me know!!!
Thanks a lot for all feedback! -- Chris
If you have city water look into Zoeller or Basepump . They are water main powered pumps
Chris Szilagyi wrote:

It will take one huge battery pack to power any reasonably sized sump pump for 6 hours.
As noted some people are using water powered pumps that work off the local water supply. Yes you can pump water with water. It may not be the best for every day use, but it does make sense for this kind of situation.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

it has water, but will not have the capacity you need. A battery powered pump might have the capacity, but will require a bank of batteries. The only real solution is a second sump pump and a generator. That is what I did at my old house, with a battery backup on one and a water backup on the other. Then I couldn't take it any more and moved; that was the real solution. If you need a pump to run 6 hours straight (as I did frequently) it is a sad situation.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to have a motor driven pump instead.

Wha?
Standard venturi pumps (like jetpumps for wells) have "how much do I have to push:how much water do I get back" ratios in the 1:5 to 1:7 range. [Total lift tending to be the determining factor.]
A decent 1/2" municipal line should be able to get 5-7 GPM into the house. That corresponds to anywhere from 25-50 GPM on an optimally designed venturi pump with a short lift. More for 3/4" or 1" main line.
That's a _lot_ more than most AC-powered sumps.

For pumping out flooded basements where very high flowrates required, yes. Not for routine-ish sump pumping.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Huh??? Water powered pumps use a venturi tube. The one I had was almost as powerful as my regular pump and the capacity was unlimited as long as the municipal water pressure was available. You must be thinking of a different type of pump?
I like it when people that dont know what they are talking about cut down a product with no research or facts to back up their stupid remarks.
Basepump at a 10 foot lift with a 3/4 incomming supply at 50 lb will pump 750 GPH. Thats 18000 GPD , Measly ? At 3/4 main and 75 lb pressure 10 ft head it does 1000 GPH 24000 GPD, Measly ? Just the size of a small swimming pool.
Gas , great, you are not home, or you motor doesnt start or you run out of gas.
Basepump is Automatic, mounted at the ceiling in the same pit as your primary pump ready to work any moment your main pump fails or power goes off, no batteries to replace no carburators to clog, no starting, nothing, just pure automatic insurance and piece of mind.
m Ransley wrote:

I know what you mean, but I *don't like it* because it can get people who believe them into trouble.
This guy "toller" is wrong too often. Recently (07/26/04)he stated that a neon electrical tester "has almost no resistance, so significant current will flow through it", and he's made gaffs about other subject as well.
One of his silliest recent remarks, when responding to a question about adding electrical outlets to an existing location from a poster who'd admitted he had no electrical wiring experience was:
"Experience goes a lot way. (of course, the only way to get experience is doing things you have never done before.)"
How about suggesting he first obtains some education in what he's trying to do toller, so the "experience" he gets doesn't result in his electrocuting somebody?
I think toller means well, but sometimes it seems like his whole alimentary tract gets reversed. <G>
Just my .02,
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
Well Jeff Wisnia , I am in agreement with Toller, but im a non - pro- idiot.
Although facts teach us all

require something larger than a 1/3hp.) Even a good battey backup will do 2000 gph at 10'. If the man is concerned about it running continuously, then he probably has a tough situation were 750gph is plenty measly. I know my 1/2hp pump often couldn't keep up with a 5' rise.
And why do you assume it is a 10' rise? For a shorter, more typical rises, everything is different, but basepump doesn't even give data for shorter rises.
I guess we have just found out why you like it when people don't know cut down a product; you have just boosted a product with no knowledge.
The other guy was even sadder. Was he criticising me for saying that people with experience running cable do it much better, or for saying that you get experience running cable by doing it; reading a book counts for just about nothing. They both sound like true statements; which is the irresponsible one.? Or maybe my big error was saying that a neon lit lighting up did not necessarily indicate an unsafe situatuation (if in fact they light up on neutral to ground; I haven't tried it.) That also sounds like a true statement.
Toller get the facts right .
A 1/4 hp Zoeller pump at 10ft head does 1320 GPH
A 1/6 hp Zoeller pump at 10 ft head does 660 GPH A Basepump @ 10ft head on a 3/4 main at 75 lb does 1000 GPH, That is capacity.
Why a 10 ft head you ask, because its a good standard of measure .
Toller the Troller you rate a Basepump Water powered pump at 1/3 of 1/3 hp or 1/10 hp . You a Dumb and Dumber, boi.
Probably closer to 1/3 hp at a normal US flow.
A Battery powered @ 2000 GPH @ 10 ft head ?, Where ? Whose ? How much? And most importantly for how long and for how long in 6 yrs when battery capacity is near ZERO
The Facts Man , Get the Facts...............
The truth is Toller don`t know toller-squat.
Basepump also has no moving parts to break, and comes with an alarm and battery.
With a 1 " main 75 lb. incomming pressure @ 10 ft head it pumps 2000 GPH or 48000 GPD ! Measly ? Just the size of a real swimming pool.

Depends on whether that's objectionable or not.
I'm planning on installing a 12V marine bilge pump (with float switch) into our sump pit run off a continuously topped-up car (or marine deep-cycle) battery.
According to my computations, I could get approximately 40 hours of continuous operation with an ordinary car battery.

For those on municipal water systems who have sump pits.
Not for those on pumped wells whose main concern is power failures.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
[ ... ]

If you're using lead-acid batteries (including gel cells), you need to check the load/time curve. You can't just divide the AH rating by the current being drawn, particularly with automotive batteries.
Batteries also lose capacity over time, so check them periodically.
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

Check into bilge pumps for boats; they are available to run on 12VDC, are relatively efficient, and usually durable (as in all things, you get what you pay for).
How much water do you need to be moving for six hours?
Gary
--
Gary Heston snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net

Contrary to popular opinion, _not_ everyone loves Raymond.

I like Attwood's V1250 12V bilge pump (item 168226, $33.99 at BoatUS.com), which can move 1100 gph at 0 head or 400 gph with a 6.7' head with 12 V at 2.6 amps. It has a 3-year guarantee. Their item 168228 float switch sells for $20.99.

A 200 Ah battery might pump for 200Ah/2.6A = 77 h, moving 77x750 = 57.7K gallons of water, a 32'x32'x7' basementful.
Nick
Figure battery replacement cost in 10 yrs and float charger cost over 10 yrs and its evident Battery units Suck and don`t Suck enough.
I can only see Basepump and Zoeller as an overall winner.