Gone Fishin

Since we just moved into our new home .. I can't Really blame my wife for detaching the wires that went to the plug in transformer that POWERS our Home Security System and .. Shoving them into the wall, because they were Ugly .. now can I?

Any ideas on how to retrieve those Ugly wires from deep down inside the wall WITHOUT knocking a hole in it? I've even used the good ole "Clothes Hanger" with Gum on the end trick! LOL (didn't work or I wouldn't be asking)

BTW .. Just to make matters worse, our kitchen counters are in front of this wall!

Thanks Everyone

Reply to
Paul M

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:15:57 -0500 "Paul M" used 36 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Use a coat hanger, but put a small 1/2" hook on the end, not GUM!

Mark the edges of the outlet cover lightly with a pencil, then take it off. Now you know how much sheetrock you can cut away when the cover gets replaced. Just fish around in there, you can probably tell if the wire is going up or down.

Also, gum man, you better turn off the circuit breaker first.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Have your wife do it, fish for the wires.

Reply to
m Ransley

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:20:55 -0600 "m Ransley" used 2 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Why are you telling me that?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Too bad "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" wasn't for real.

Have you got a friend in the construction trades with a fiber optic lighed/scope? They use them to find stuff in walls. Things would go easier if you knew where to reach.

(Or maybe ya got a proctologist brother-in-law who can loan you a flexible sigmoidoscope over the weekend.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

How about call the alarm company? Most alarm companies have some really great wire fish guys.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:19:49 GMT "Stormin Mormon" used 36 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

But we don't work for free. I'd be happy to charge him $75 for a service call that will take all of 5 minutes.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Just wanted to say "Thanks Fellows" for the help. The hook idea worked after quite a while of fishing!

Now, How do I get all of those Other fishhooks outta the wall? LOL

Reply to
Paul M