Moved last Dec into new home, sofar furnace filter didn't changed, when to change?

Moved into a new home last Dec, so far we didn't change the furnace filter (Heating), usually what will be the time period for each filter?. Also Is it hard to change (I can see "filetr door" sign on the furnace)?. Please let me know how often we have to change this filter?.

We have HONEYWELL thermostat system installed,, in the Summer, air-conditioning is OK, just before the winter, we moved the system button from off to Heating (In the summer it will be cooling or off), then we can see heat comes througth vents for couple of hours, after that we are not seeing much heating coming through heat vents, very rarely, like three or four times per day, each time for 3 to Minutes, but if I set it to "Hold" at 74degree, then heat is coming through vents almost always, what was the reason we are not getting much heat without putting "hold"?. I am wondering do we have to turn on any other switch or something besides thermostat switch?. Here temp are dropping to 24 night time and 55 day time, but we are getting much heat. Also onemore thing I objerved is, when the heat is coming through vents, at the same time cold air is coming through fan vents?. Is this common?. My fan is set to auto on the HONEYWELL thermostat.

We are new to home, please suggest me what to do, thanks in advance.

Reply to
Santa

Some filters need changing every 2-3 months some every year, depending on filters size , design and indoor conditions. Look at its condition. You should get a pro out to clean your system and advise you, a dirty system will loose you efficiency.

Reply to
m Ransley

In alt.home.repair on 11 Nov 2004 20:02:08 -0800 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Santa) posted:

You don't say where you live. Would that make a difference?

Try to open that door and see.

Is it cold in the house? If not, it's ok.

There are a lot of Honeywell thermostats, and I'm not acquainted with one that has a Hold button. (The whole purpose of the thermostat is to hold the temperature where it is set for.)

Maybe the reason it stays on is that 74 is a higher temperature than the you just had it set at. If you left it on 74 all day, once the inside temperature (at the thermostat) reached 74, the furnace would probably not run much more than it is running now, four or five times a day for 3 to 6 minutes.

If other houses in the n'hood were built with the same furnace, you can ask those people. If the houses aren't too old, I'm sure some have the thermostat manual. The man I bought my house from had manuals for everything he bought and most things the builder had bought, and I will give them to the next owner.

Things the builder bought that I have manuals for were the steel fireplace, the bathroom fans, the furnace/ac, the garbage disposal etc. Maybe I should count the dishwasher, because the builder installed it, but the guy bought the house before it was finished, and I think he picked out the make, model, and color. But the thermostat that came with the house was too simple to need a manual.

When you have a pro service the furnace, you can ask him to explain the Hold button, and why it seems to make the furnace run more.

If you still need more info, you can find a store that sells your thermostat and read the instructions for it. A nice retail store might photocopy them for you, or if you have to, you can buy one, do the photocopying and then return it. Wholesale places don't like to take returns iiuc, at least from consumers, but they'll probably let you take all the time you need to stay there and read the instructions.

More heat than you need? Or do you mean you are still getting

*enough* heat.

OK, I see you do live where it is rather cold, colder than Maryland.

What are fan vents. In some houses I think -- or at least it should be that -- the AC comes out of the ceiling vents and falls to the floor, while the heat comes out of the floor (or lower wall) vents and rises past the people to the ceiling. The vents that send out AC air in the summer return heating air in the winter, and those that send out the heating air return the AC air. At least that is the way I think it should be.

But I live in a cheaper house than that, and both the AC and the heat come out of the same vents. When it is time to return to the furnace, the air has a choice of two vents, one in the stairwell in basement, and one in the stairwell near the ceiling of the top floor (the 2nd floor).

Auto is a good setting for the fan. It means that the fan will be on only when the heat or AC is actually running (actually the fan goes on a little bit after the furnace starts and also stops a little bit after. To give time for the air to be heated, and to use the the heat of the furnace even after the burning stops. The AC might be the same way. It's all controlled in circuits in the furnace. Unless solar does things much differently.)

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman