Gold paint for door hardware?

I want to repaint my interior door's hardware using the same colored paint. I think I need oil based to replace the worn off oil based, right, but the old paint doesn't look like it was brushed on. What do you know about circa 1924 painted door hardware. Also, the hardware is not fancy, just plain beveled edged door set type, made of brass. But the handles are not brass, just the part that screws on the face and back of the door.
<< I want to repaint my interior door's hardware using the same colored paint.

Couple of possibilities:
The cheapest: look over the supply of paints available at any hobby or model shop. Pricey: Take the hardware to a plating shop for custom brass plating. The results will look good and last a long time.
HTH
Joe