Glass Tabletop

Page 2 of 2

Could be. I found this place http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/glass-round-54.php They state the 3/8" top is tempered. I'd then assume the thicker ones are not. If broken a 3/4" thick section is less likely to slice through your gut than a thin one.
wrote in message

Other than maybe a cheap garage sale patio table with a 'captive' glass insert in the top, no way would I ever pay money for a glass table. My decrepit body has already got too many scars, and I am <way> too much of klutz. I don't need furniture that can kill me if I trip over it in the dark.
aem sends....

Honestly I thought they all were until we broke ours. While getting a new one made at the local glass I chatted with the owner. He is the one who told me that almost none are. He added that he sells quite a few replacements each year.
Colbyt
wrote in message

nope, more likely. the 3/4" one will be far heavier, and if dropped on a limb or foot, will just slice it off because the glass edge can be sharper than most knives.
3/4" thick glass is 10.1 lbs/sqft.
regards, charlie http://glassartists.org/chaniarts
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:20:57 -0500, "Colbyt"

Well... the real reality is that glass is a dumb-ass thing to make a table out of, but I'll admit it looks cool.

My parents had a glass top kitchen table and it's been replaced at least twice that I know of. My mom shattered it once by accidently putting a very hot pan on it and a TINY shard that wasn't found during clean up found its way into my dads foot. (He survived haha) Another time my mom dropped something (a heavy pot I believe) and it shattered again. My brother almost fell on it while replacing a light bulb (he's an electrician even) and if he had fallen, would have caused damage to him for sure. My half a cent: I never liked the glass top and personally wouldn't get a kitchen/dining table that had it as the top. Even if my family never came over to put themselves in danger, I just don't like them. It just takes one wrong move to destroy them and I'd rather have a wood top that will dent instead of shatter.

A non-tempered piece of glass can kill you. Or your wife. Or a child. Or anyone who just happens to hit a shard the right way.
If this is not enough of a concern to you, but cost is, buy el cheapo non-tempered glass.
You can always have more kids, and you don't like your in-laws that much anyway. Right?
Steve
wrote

Jeez...I thought *I* was blunt sometimes. :-)
But, you're right, at least about the in-laws.
Steve B wrote:

Patio sliders are notorious because people walk or fall through them. My son had a close call with glass from storm door when neighbor child broke the glass. With small children around, I would put plexi in storm door.
We have a table with glass top which is tempered. Not thick plate, as it is supported by wood. Perhaps the thick plate can't be tempered?
We had glass cut to use as backsplash behind our cooktop. After cutting, the shop sent it back to the factory to be tempered.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

http://www.pier1.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?oidH610&returnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pier1.com%2fcatalog%2fsearch.aspx%3ffh_location%3d%2f%2fpier1direct%2fen_US%26fh_search%3dglass%2btabletop%26fh_search_pass%3dliteral%26fh_view%3dsearch&fh_location=//pier1direct/en_US&fh_search=glass%20tabletop&fh_search_pass=literal&fh_view=search
If I have to replace/repair something I like to upgrade it. In your situation I'd go with the tempered. It's far stronger, does explode into a million, safer pieces when it goes, but it takes a pretty good impact on the edge to do it. Unlikely that you'd ever break tempered that thick by hitting it on the face.
Call a local glass shop and price both flavors. The stuff's really not that expensive. The polished edges add about as much to the cost as the tempering.
As an alternative, call a Broyhill store/distributor and price a replacement top. Since they get deliveries from the factory the shipping shouldn't be a factor. http://www.broyhillfurniture.com/store_locator /

http://www.pier1.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?oidH610&returnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pier1.com%2fcatalog%2fsearch.aspx%3ffh_location%3d%2f%2fpier1direct%2fen_US%26fh_search%3dglass%2btabletop%26fh_search_pass%3dliteral%26fh_view%3dsearch&fh_location=//pier1direct/en_US&fh_search=glass%20tabletop&fh_search_pass=literal&fh_view=search
ok here's the deal, from the looks of the picture, your table is about 42"x80" x 3/8" thick w/ a 1"bevel on the edges. the replacement cost for this is probably in the area of $500.00 - $600.00 from a local glass company, depending where you live. there is no need for tempered glass but the 3/8" thickness is very important, since it is free standing. if you want to save a few $$$ there is no need to get the 1" bevel, you can get a very nice High Polished edge instead.
anyone who is charging $100-$200 for deliver is a thief....delivery for this is should only be about $75.00. usually if you have a glass company come out to your house to measure the broken top and get the size right to where you want it, delivery fees would/could be waived. that may be negotiable for your area, i don't know where you live. with something like this, there really isn't an installation just a quick clean and place on the table base. if that is really your table in the picture or something similar you like, then i'd say buy the new table and have the extra chairs and save a few $$$.
good luck,
I know someone who lost an arm falling into a non tempered glass table top. Go with tempered. You can have it custom made locally. Often done. My elderly parents had one made to protect a wood table 3 years ago. They came, made a template, and came back with the glass.

http://www.pier1.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?oidH610&returnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pier1.com%2fcatalog%2fsearch.aspx%3ffh_location%3d%2f%2fpier1direct%2fen_US%26fh_search%3dglass%2btabletop%26fh_search_pass%3dliteral%26fh_view%3dsearch&fh_location=//pier1direct/en_US&fh_search=glass%20tabletop&fh_search_pass=literal&fh_view=search

http://www.pier1.com/catalog/productdetail.aspx?oidH610&returnURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pier1.com%2fcatalog%2fsearch.aspx%3ffh_location%3d%2f%2fpier1direct%2fen_US%26fh_search%3dglass%2btabletop%26fh_search_pass%3dliteral%26fh_view%3dsearch&fh_location=//pier1direct/en_US&fh_search=glass%20tabletop&fh_search_pass=literal&fh_view=search
the chances of actually losing a limb are slim to none, not that it can't happen. a finished edge table top should not be tempered because the edges then become the glass tops worst enemy. while the surface of the top would have a great resistance to impact and heat, the edges are very tempermental and if hit in the wrong way,especially at the corners, the table top will *explode* or just shatter. patio tios are usually tempered because they recieve a great deal of abuse but are usually encased in a metal frame.
tempering a dining room table top is costly and not practical.
Steve B wrote:

It was YOUR fault. I don't care what the holiday, your grandmother should not have been dancing on top of the table.