Glass Tabletop

ok here's the deal, from the looks of the picture, your table is about

42"x80" x 3/8" thick w/ a 1"bevel on the edges. the replacement cost for this is probably in the area of $500.00 - $600.00 from a local glass company, depending where you live. there is no need for tempered glass but the 3/8" thickness is very important, since it is free standing. if you want to save a few $$$ there is no need to get the 1" bevel, you can get a very nice High Polished edge instead.

anyone who is charging $100-$200 for deliver is a thief....delivery for this is should only be about $75.00. usually if you have a glass company come out to your house to measure the broken top and get the size right to where you want it, delivery fees would/could be waived. that may be negotiable for your area, i don't know where you live. with something like this, there really isn't an installation just a quick clean and place on the table base. if that is really your table in the picture or something similar you like, then i'd say buy the new table and have the extra chairs and save a few $$$.

good luck,

mike.............

Reply to
JerseyMike

I know someone who lost an arm falling into a non tempered glass table top. Go with tempered. You can have it custom made locally. Often done. My elderly parents had one made to protect a wood table 3 years ago. They came, made a template, and came back with the glass.

Art

the chances of actually losing a limb are slim to none, not that it can't happen. a finished edge table top should not be tempered because the edges then become the glass tops worst enemy. while the surface of the top would have a great resistance to impact and heat, the edges are very tempermental and if hit in the wrong way,especially at the corners, the table top will

*explode* or just shatter. patio tios are usually tempered because they recieve a great deal of abuse but are usually encased in a metal frame.

tempering a dining room table top is costly and not practical.

mike............

Reply to
JerseyMike

It was YOUR fault. I don't care what the holiday, your grandmother should not have been dancing on top of the table.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bathroom shower doors?

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

it:

it:

This group is very wise. We don't bother taking chances and improve our homes whenever feasible.

We are all growed up adults.

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

They would be tempered. I don't know if it is state or Federal, but all doors must have tempered glass. Comes down to risk factors. People walk into doors very often, hardly ever walk into or through a window. Table tops, I'm not so sure if it is a glass covering the wood, but mine are double thickness. A glass topped table certainly should be tempered.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The reality is almost no glass tabletop is tempered. They are just thick glass.

I learned that one the hard way when we dropped a bowl from a height of about 6" to the tabletop.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Could be. I found this place

state the 3/8" top is tempered. I'd then assume the thicker ones are not. If broken a 3/4" thick section is less likely to slice through your gut than a thin one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Other than maybe a cheap garage sale patio table with a 'captive' glass insert in the top, no way would I ever pay money for a glass table. My decrepit body has already got too many scars, and I am too much of klutz. I don't need furniture that can kill me if I trip over it in the dark.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Well... the real reality is that glass is a dumb-ass thing to make a table out of, but I'll admit it looks cool.

Reply to
Goedjn

My parents had a glass top kitchen table and it's been replaced at least twice that I know of. My mom shattered it once by accidently putting a very hot pan on it and a TINY shard that wasn't found during clean up found its way into my dads foot. (He survived haha) Another time my mom dropped something (a heavy pot I believe) and it shattered again. My brother almost fell on it while replacing a light bulb (he's an electrician even) and if he had fallen, would have caused damage to him for sure. My half a cent: I never liked the glass top and personally wouldn't get a kitchen/dining table that had it as the top. Even if my family never came over to put themselves in danger, I just don't like them. It just takes one wrong move to destroy them and I'd rather have a wood top that will dent instead of shatter.

Reply to
HomeDecoy

Honestly I thought they all were until we broke ours. While getting a new one made at the local glass I chatted with the owner. He is the one who told me that almost none are. He added that he sells quite a few replacements each year.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

nope, more likely. the 3/4" one will be far heavier, and if dropped on a limb or foot, will just slice it off because the glass edge can be sharper than most knives.

3/4" thick glass is 10.1 lbs/sqft.

regards, charlie

charlie