GFI's?

Page 1 of 2
That does it. I'm taking out the GFI's and replacing them with regular plugs. I'm tired of shutting off a fan in one room and the TV, DVR and Receiver dying in another room because of a touchy GFI. These things are worthless.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖

Don't be too hasty defeating a safety item. Try another GFCI (known good, hopefully new) in that location, and if the problem persists, better start looking for bad grounds, back stabber outlets or other funky wiring problems. Reliability of newer GFCI's is very good these days. Good luck.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

Hmmm, Why TV, DVR, Receiver would need GFCI?
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

because when you plug your travel trailer into someone's driveway, the outlet is GFCIed? <g>
Add pictures here
✖
Tony Hwang wrote:

They have 2-prong cords.
Add pictures here
✖

Meaningless; irrelevant.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm not sure what kind of reaction you were going for, but you should at least write a post that has some logic to it.
These thing*s* (plural) are worthless and you're taking out your GFI'*s* (plural) because of *a* (singular) touchy GFI?
I had a flat once. I guess I should throw away all of my tires.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:00:32 -0500, Claude Hopper

Some TVs will trip a GFCI if they are also plugged into something with a grounded DC common like a PC. My Daewoo has since the day I got it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 21, 10:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Why do you have a PC and TV plugged into a GFCI?
Or more importantly, why do you have a PC plugged into a circuit with something that trips a GFCI?
If you're not going to use an isolated circuit for your PC, at least move it to a circuit less prone to losing power.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:31:06 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
It was a temporary connection from an outside outlet while I was working on the circuit

Why not? What is so special about a PC?

Why? What;'s so special about a PC?
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Because the drunk electrician who wired this house put regular outlets downstream from GFCI's. What a retard.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖
Claude Hopper wrote:

That's okay if he used the LINE terminals instead of the LOAD terminals.
Add pictures here
✖
I wired all my kids bedrooms this way. I realize there may be a few 'false alarms' but to save one of the kids accidently getting shocked or worse it's worth it.

✖

Ahh, you're right! They should have all been upstream of course! THAT's the problem!
Add pictures here
✖
Twayne wrote:

Why not just get a single GFCI breaker for that circuit instead of dubbing around with GFCI plugs? The ones behind beds or cabinets you can't set the god damn red light when they trip.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖

I think Clauded was just posting for effect?
But since GFCIs trip due to a difference in the current flowing in the live and neutral wires, which may or may not be due to some grounding condition he should look further at what is causing it. Not discard the GFCI without further thought.
We all must be familiar with cases where there is a slight potential difference between the case of a piece of equipment, say a VCR or a DVD player separate from a TV and/or when there is a potential difference beteen such gear and a TV antenna cable grounded outside.
Again if the GFCI is shutting down a whole run of outlets? It could be moved to protect just those outlets where it is essential, not located at or near the start of a run of outlets whereby it will shut down everything downstream on that circuit!
I would suspect something leaky or slightly unbalanced within some piece of gear plugged into that circuit. And if there are numerous ancillary pieces plugged into a computer such as powered speakers etc. the chances of leakage are increased.
A GFCI located behind a piece of furniture doesn't sound like a good idea anyway!
The ones we have added to this house over the last few of our 38 years since we built this house are located so as to be visible/accessible.
One is in the garage just as one exits from the house into the garage and protects itself and another outlet outside next to a stored boat. Another is in the bathroom and protects itself and the one next to it. Another in the outside wall of an attached shed to protects any garden tool extension cords user.
We have one more to GFCI protect; outside the front door that occasionally gets covered by snow and used, also only occasionally, for Christmas lights or rarely by an electric trimmer**. I think we'll put an inside GFCI for that circuit next to some storage shelves at bottom of basement stairs and through one door. Above eye level it will be highly visible if tripped to anyone on their way to the washer and dryer!
** Also as previously mentioned we have one extension cord with a GFCI in a box on the end of it which is used for electric garden tools.
The GFCIs rarely trip and during the last few years we have had only one that went faulty.
PS. In Claude's case is there a loose neutral somewhere?
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 22:42:37 -0500, "Twayne"

I suppose you all know the 2008 code requires AFCI on virtually all dwelling receptacles and that will incorporate ground fault protection. (at the 30ma level)
Add pictures here
✖

Before you eliminate your GFCI outlet(?) protection everywhere by replacing the GFCI with a standard receptacle...consider changing how the circuit is wired.
Sounds like you have a daisy chain of receptacles connected to the LOAD terminals on the GFCI... connect them to LINE terminals instead OR wire up pigtail style.
Now all of the "down stream receptacles" are no longer GFCI protected......installed additional GCFI outlets only where needed.
Should eliminate nuisance trips, plus any trips wil occur at the point of us.
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖

Have you considered that the GFI might actually be functioning properly and that there is a problem with one of your appliances? As others have mentioned the newer GFI's are better and newer appliances have higher tolerances for leakage to ground. You can also change the wiring of the GFI so that receptacles downstream that do not need GFI protection can not be affected.
Add pictures here
✖
John Grabowski wrote:

I have noticed that if you just plug something in and you get a little spark because it's on, the GFCI will trip. Same goes if a switch is turned on or off. Any little spark and it trips. That's not safety, that stupidity.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ? ¥
✖