GFI Popping from Range Vent Hood

Hi Everybody, I have a Nutone Range Vent Hood above my stove. Not sure on model number or anything but is the basic type, light and 2 speed fan which circulates back into room. My problem is when I ran the fan on low speed only and shut off it trips a GFI outlet next to the stove almost every time. There is not much else on the circuit, most outlets are unused at this point, except for 2 clocks and a radio. I tried replacing the rocker fan switch but it still continues with the same thing. Could the outlet be bad or is there something else to look for? Thanks for your help on this.
Justin
Justin wrote:

This is a common problem with some GFCI recepts. The fan motor inductance creates a hefty voltage spike when the switch is opened and that can trigger the GFI circuitry.
It may be easier to replace the recept with another brand, but you can play around with small value capacitors across the motor to dampen the inductive spike.
Jim
The fan shouldn't be on the outlet circuit to begin with, and has no need to be GFCI protected, so pull out the GFCI outlet, remove the "load" wires going to the fan, splice them to the "line" wires, with a pigtail feeding the line side only of the GFCI

While eliminating the GFI protection from the hood fan will stop the nuisance tripping, it may open up the possibility of shock or electrocution in this instance. The GFI could be tripping because there is a genuine current leak. By not correcting the problem and eliminating the GFI protection a person could possibly get a shock from touching the hood fan and the stove at the same time.
I suggest changing the GFI receptacle first to see if the problem goes away. If not then you need to fix or replace the hood fan.