GFI outlets

Is is a simple swap-out to install gfi outlets? They've always been there, but this place has none. I know the bathrooms need them, but how about the kitchen and wet-bar? Anywhere else? Near the washing machine maybe?
thanks in advance, Keith
It is the same as switching out a regular outlet. I remodeled my bathroom and switched all the plugs to GFI. The plugs usually come with instructions as to where to place the wires and ground.
k wrote:

They are for all wet areas and outside outlets and garages. They need a feed with a ground wire.

No they don't.
If there are only two wires + ground in the box, it's easy, just connect to the "line" side for both hot and neutral. If there are more than two wires in the box, you have to figure out which are the feed wires, and if you want to protect the downstream wiring through the device, which isn't always a good idea. Also, if you are installing gfci's in tile, be sure the tile was cut out to expose the entire box opening or the device won't fit. Generally there is no requirement to upgrade outlet devices to current code, but if you want to anyway, GFCI's are required for all kitchen counter outlets, bathroom outlets, accessible garage outlets, unfinished basement outlets, and outside outlets

in older homes the outlet box may be to shallow, just have a look, and see: http://www.landfield.com/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1 /
k wrote:

k posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times - do your own research.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have a little project for the weekend now.
Keith