GFCI In Line on Fan & Light Switch

Question:
Current set up on 14/3 wire + ground with two switches. One switch controls the fan, the other switch controls the light:
Believe it is this combination: Switch 1: Black - controls Fan Switch 2: Red - controls Light
I would like to move fan/light above the shower but need GFCI (per Nutone 744NT instructions). Can I somehow install two "inline" GFCI's after the switchs but before the light and fan. One GFCI for the black, one for the red. I would put GFCIs in a closet behind the bath so they are accessible.
To do this I think I would have to wire the GFCIs with just one wire (i.e. the black or red) or split the white? Otherwise what would I do with the white (i.e. bypass it on the GFCI or split it so each GFCI gets a white)?
To further complicate things, I would also probably put additional recessed lights after the fan/light combo, if this matters.
(thinking of using those blank GFCI w/o the outlets)
Thanks
Jelso wrote:

Anything preventing you from just changing the breaker servicing that line to a GFCI type?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

This circuit also powers a master bedroom in addition to the bath. Would that present any issues for a GFCI. Doesn't seem like it?
I don't understand whey when the previous owners remodled a about 7 years ago why they didn't just install a GFCI breaker.
Thx
Jelso wrote:

Doesn't seem like it would to me either. You might want to look into using an "arc fault" CGCI for a bit mores safety if you decide to change the breaker.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jelso wrote:

Should be OK.

Because they are expensive compared to a GFCI receptacle. You may be able to install a GFCI receptacle in the switch box then feed a stack switch off the load side of the GFCI receptacle for the light/fan.

Putting GFCI after a switch is unusual. But I suppose you could do that. Each GFCI needs a hot and a neutral to work. There is no such thing as inline GFCI. It needs to see the current in both the hot and the neutral wire.
If possible, put the GFCI before the split and the switches. This involves minimum wiring changes and you only need to mount one GFCI. But if you have no access to the wires before the split/switches, then I guess you can't.
Using a GFCI circuit breaker is another possible solution.