Getting rid of poison ivy

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:50:32 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

The hairspray puts a little coating over the leaves so that an accidental brush or bump doesn't transfer oil to you.
At least, that's the theory.
I don't really know how much difference it makes but I feel better doing it.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 05:22:52 -0700, TimR wrote:

You do know that, technically, since plant cells have cell walls, that the oil is not (inherently) on the *outside* of the leaves, roots, stems, and vines.
However, that's just a technicality, since it doesn't take all that much to damage a cell wall. In fact, we've noticed that, when we lead hikes, the people in the back of the line get it worse than those cutting their way through at the front, because the guy swinging the machete gets past the stuff before it starts weeping.
It's not much consolation though, because on those hikes, EVERYONE gets exposed even though we're all covered from head to toe in double-layer clothing (even in the hottest weather).
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 18:16:05 +0000, Danny DiAmico wrote:

To give you an idea of how we're covered, this is typical garb for cutting through an impenetrable infestation of poison oak.

On 4/27/2016 1:31 PM, Danny DiAmico wrote:

So, how do you keep from getting the rash?
--
Maggie

On 04/27/2016 10:26 PM, Muggles wrote:

As long as I take a shower within 80 minutes of exposure, no rash. A two hour exposure yields a light rash.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 23:26:32 -0500, Muggles wrote:

Preventing an allergic reaction is science unto itself.
Bear in mind that almost EVERYTHING you read on the net is bad advice.
The guy to read is William L. Epstein, whose papers are the best I have ever found.
Almost all the crap you read on the net are old wives tales (e.g., shower with cold water only, use Tecnu only, etc.).
It's just chemistry and immunology. Complex yes. But it's science.
The urushiol is an oily alcohol, so, you treat it as such.
Unfortunately, the molecular size is such that it *diffuses* through your outer layers of skin within fifteen or twenty minutes, so, you don't have a lot of time to wholly prevent the langerhan's cells from uptake of the urushiol which is oxidized to a quinone.
Once your body starts reacting to the quinone with a cytokine storm, you're gonna get the rash. All you can do is ameliorate it if you get to the cytokine stage.
Before that, we use clothes. Lots of clothes. You can see that from my photos. The trick is to keep it off the skin, and, the second trick is almost impossible, which is to wash it off within fifteen minutes (which, if you're doing any real work, isn't a feasible time period).
Luckily Epstein has lots of studies published, but you have to go to a research library to read most of them.
Here's just one by the way, which gives you an idea of the immunology involved (suffice to say that most people can't handle this stuff as it's not filled enough with old wives tales so they can't understand it).

The yellow raincoat i use for poison oak clearing is covered in stick marks like that. The other half of the equation is TecNu.
On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 06:25:09 +0000, Fake ID wrote:

I looked up all the ingredients in Tecnu and Zanfel and I reproduce them in household chemicals because I am so covered in urushiol that I couldn't afford the $40/ounce creams when a 10 cents/ounce surfactant works almost as well.
Only the government can afford that stuff at the amounts that you need to clean up after being literally covered in urushiol.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:41:57 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

What does the aluminum foil do? Keep the plant moist so the Roundup does dry up? Whatever, it does sound interesting.
I have made 'collars' for offending plants and for the desirable plants as well. Either to concentrate the spray or to protect the desirable plant from overspray. Cardboard bent around whichever plant works very well.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:48:18 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Probably makes me feel better, more than anything else. ;)
Keeps the Roundup moist so it can be absorbed by the plant, and taken down to the roots where it does its work.
Keeps the Roundup from brushing up against desirable plants.
Keeps animals from trying to eat the Roundup. Cindy Hamilton
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:41:51 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

If it's just a few plants, I'd likely just pour a small amount of gasoline on the roots. (a half cup or so). It's not natural, but effective and pretty safe (as long as you dont ignite it), and pretty cheap for just a few plants.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:09:55 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

i have used that all my lifetime to kill weeds in concrete driveways etc

Same here! I probably use $10 worth of gas each year for this sort of thing. A gallon jug of Roundup was around $25 the last time I looked. The gas evaporates after doing it's job, so I dont think it's all that bad for the environment, or at least no worse than the costly chemicals.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:33:19 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I've bought the quart bottle of Roundup and yes it was expensive but that quart will make several gallons of the solution. Last time I bought any I got Home Depots brand and can tell no difference in it and Roundup. H.D. brand was about $5 cheaper.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You're looking in the wrong place. Look at an ag supply store. A 2 1/2 gallon jug of concentrate should be about $45 and that will make 320 gallons of 1 percent working solution
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:16:25 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

That's what I buy online, the generic glyphosate, I think it was about $70 for 2.5 gallons shipped and it makes several hundred gallons at 3%, which I guess is about the strength of the pre-made. This is one product where the cost between buying that ready-made and concentrate is HUGE. You don't have to buy many gallons of the ready-made at HD to get to $70.
imy front hill side got overwhelmed by poison ivy.....
tried pulling it just spread. tried repeated applications of poison ivy killer it just aggravated it.
came here looking for a solution.
a poster here solved it. he said mix poision ivy killer 50% with roundup.
sprayed it in morning by evening is was dying. broke some federal laws, but it worked.
i have some perenials planted by my mom who died many years ago..
i had a couple landscapers come by but they insisted on killing everything on that hillside.
use the noxious chemicals before you or yours get poision ivy and are put on predisone. thats nasty and makes me very ill
On 4/26/16 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

Ya know it works even better if you add the eye of a newt, the toe of a frog, and two ounces of Diet Coke.
--
History teaches us that men and nations only behave wisely once they
have exhausted all other alternatives.
On 4/26/2016 4:20 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

When my Mom used to make that mix, she used Mountain Dew. Maybe that explains why the vines grew to the sky, and the booming voice came from the sky. Some thing about fe fi fo fum, I smell the blood of an English bum. The big guy climbing down from the sky got all rash and itchy from the poison ivy vine. Mom ought have used Diet Coke.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/26/2016 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

Please let us know what works. Couple days from now, send another post through the list. I'm sure plenty of readers will benefit from a field tester report.
I've heard that burning poison ivy vaporizes the poison chemical. People who touch or breathe the smoke or vapors can get poison. Allergic person who breathes the vapor might die from lung trouble.
--
.
Christopher A. Young