Generators, run on nat. gas....

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 17:52:42 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

An engine will put out at least 3-4x the heat as useful work (20-25% efficient). 1kWh ~ 3400BTU, so figure 10,000-15,000 BTU/hour per kW generated.
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:00:02 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Sure, but then you'd need to know how fast it burned fuel.

Generators are put in dedicated rooms all the time for industrial applications. I'd love to have the unit from Verizon Granada Hills C.O. - 750KW Continuous, 1MW surge - and you need that when you're starting two 50-ton AC units and several 5 to 10-Ton ones, and all the Phone Switch battery chargers. The phone switch is a huge computer, they don't like working when they get hot.
An Architect, Engineer, and special permits required. You have to make a separate sealed room in the building with provisions for taking the exhaust out the roof to a proper stack, away from all windows and air intakes. Large fixed vent louvers in the wall low and high, and forced ventilation when the engine is running. Remote fuel tank buried or pad-mount outside - only a small Day Tank allowed in the room. Fire sprinklers. Extinguishers. Fire rated doors, walls, ceiling into the rest of the building
And a proper transfer switch, with a way to monitor the Utility line to see if it's back yet. If you just transfer the whole house that's fine, but you still have to tap off a separate 15A breaker to be able to monitor utility power.
You could do the same thing on a smaller scale at home, but you'd still better plan it all out properly first.
--<< Bruce >>--
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:24:28 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Maybe you need a new refrigerator?
The generators around here are loud enough to be annoying over night. From your comment, I imagine there are quieter ones..
Totally as an aside, FYI, and all that, on the offshore rigs, natural gas would be taken out of the wellhead, refined slightly (probably the water and particulates filtered out), then used to power the pumps that pumped the rest to the refineries.
Steve
http://www.outokumpu.com/Industry-offerings/Chemical-Petrochemical-and-Energy/Case-Studies-container/Subsea-power-cable-by-Nexans /

We had three production barges in the Java Sea working that way. Gas off the three phase separator, through a liquid knock-out drum, into the engine.
We did get caught one time though when another well came on stream making a lot of wet gas, some of which got through the system and resulted in burned valves in a 500 KW generator.
-- John B.
says...

The recent outage in New England happened during a snowstorm you know.
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:19:07 -0500, "J. Clarke"

I know, I was in it and my power was out for a time. It was not all that cold that you'd need the heat on 14 hours a day. It warmed up nicely on Monday.
If there was a spell of temperatures below 20 all day, you may need more, but not this past storm. At that point, you put all your refrigerated items outside to keep them so power is less critical.

Sure, if all you're doing is heating a house and cooling food. I have a business to run and a sump to pump, and it would be nice to be able to do so without having to deal with gas cans. ================================================== Gamers also need power 24/7. 'course, one big car battery should suffice for a while.... for a small gamer, at any rate. :)
--
EA

Nah, gamers need to move out of mommy's basement and get a life.

Not likely, as that implies getting a job.
--
EA

Well, the alternative is the local OWS protest.
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

How do you get them out of the basement without cutting holes in walls & floor, and using a crane?

13:15:33 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Tunnel down to the basement wall, add an outside access with stairs (or a ramp). Convert basement to a "daylight Basement". Use dirt to landscape the garden. Home improvement on many levels.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr

The last step, of course, is to lock the door.

    That'd work.
--
pyotr

There are several places I found:
<http://USCarb.com <http://www.propane-conversions.com/generators/
On 11/13/2011 11:57 AM, Existential Angst wrote:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-5837-Standby-Generator/p5524.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shop+portals
Did you forget to include the 12 volt charging system in your kw computation?
Paul

Anywhere outside of Earthshake regions, MTBF of resi gas is in decades.