Generators, run on nat. gas....

Generators are put in dedicated rooms all the time for industrial applications. I'd love to have the unit from Verizon Granada Hills C.O. - 750KW Continuous, 1MW surge - and you need that when you're starting two 50-ton AC units and several 5 to 10-Ton ones, and all the Phone Switch battery chargers. The phone switch is a huge computer, they don't like working when they get hot.

An Architect, Engineer, and special permits required. You have to make a separate sealed room in the building with provisions for taking the exhaust out the roof to a proper stack, away from all windows and air intakes. Large fixed vent louvers in the wall low and high, and forced ventilation when the engine is running. Remote fuel tank buried or pad-mount outside - only a small Day Tank allowed in the room. Fire sprinklers. Extinguishers. Fire rated doors, walls, ceiling into the rest of the building

And a proper transfer switch, with a way to monitor the Utility line to see if it's back yet. If you just transfer the whole house that's fine, but you still have to tap off a separate 15A breaker to be able to monitor utility power.

You could do the same thing on a smaller scale at home, but you'd still better plan it all out properly first.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

How do you get them out of the basement without cutting holes in walls & floor, and using a crane?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, the alternative is the local OWS protest.

Reply to
krw

Totally as an aside, FYI, and all that, on the offshore rigs, natural gas would be taken out of the wellhead, refined slightly (probably the water and particulates filtered out), then used to power the pumps that pumped the rest to the refineries.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

e:

tp://

I want a conversion kit to run my snow blower on Natural Gas.

Oh yeah...and a long flexible hose.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Sure, but then you'd need to know how fast it burned fuel.

Reply to
krw

Tinea Cruris

No need for the hose if you get a conversion kit for propane. Couple of coat-hangers to attach the tank to the handle-bars and you're good to go.

You may have to hook up a heater for the propane tank... or use butane.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:G- WdnTv7HrEHQF_TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Butane freezes at much higher temps than propane - butane ~-0.5°C, propane ~-40°F/C. See

Reply to
Han

Good idea.

I'll get a Natural Gas heater to keep the propane tank warm.

Oh yeah...and a long flexible hose.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We had three production barges in the Java Sea working that way. Gas off the three phase separator, through a liquid knock-out drum, into the engine.

We did get caught one time though when another well came on stream making a lot of wet gas, some of which got through the system and resulted in burned valves in a 500 KW generator.

-- John B.

Reply to
John B.

Nope.

The freezing (melting) point of butane is -138°C, the boiling point is -0.5°C. (~+30°F) The freezing (melting) point of propane is -190°C, its boiling point is -42°C (~-44°F)

You don't actually burn propane or butane; you burn the vapor/gas. In lower ambient temperatures, it's harder for the liquid to turn into a gas. Anything below the boiling point temperatures above, and you'll get nothing.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:8c6dnZif2b4Gkl7TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Sorry, I meant indeed boiling point. So generally there is noneed to heat propane tanks, but butane can get problematic near freezing.

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:jcb6c7puqsl119j5jlv21cr4sj5nth9tfr@

4ax.com:

I didn't know that. Thanks!

Reply to
Han

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ja0eia $vem$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

There is an old (optimistic) Dutch saying:

Wie goed doet, goed ontmoet

Wie is pronounced as the game thing, Wii The g is a hard g, like in Hebrew The oe sound is like the english oo in good the rest should be similar ...

"Whoever does good, will encounter good"

Reply to
Han

That's why, when I do someone a favor, I ask them to pass it on. I am so far behind in passing along that I will probably never catch up. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

"Michael A. Terrell" on Tue, 15 Nov 2011

13:15:33 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Tunnel down to the basement wall, add an outside access with stairs (or a ramp). Convert basement to a "daylight Basement". Use dirt to landscape the garden. Home improvement on many levels.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Wed, 16 Nov 2011 04:03:49 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

And here I thought Hell was already flaming.

Oh wait, that's West Hollywood.

Never mind.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The last step, of course, is to lock the door.

Reply to
krw

"J. Clarke" on Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:15:06 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That'd work.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich