Generators, Again?!

Page 2 of 3
I had a tank filled at KOA last week. Yes, they do need electricity to fill propane tanks.

So true, the store may have a good supply of filled propane tanks, but be unwilling to sell them when the electric is off. And when the demand is the highest.

Most places today don't refill propane tanks, they just swap them. Whether those places will be open if the area is without power is questionable, probably not likely.

Several places around here do refill, if the tank hasn't expired. One of them: <http://www.heroldsfarm.com/Herolds_Farm/Welcome.html
--
Best regards
Han

powered pump and automatic weight control.

I only make occasional trips to Costco, but I can't seem to find out whether they fill propane tanks in North Jersey ...
--
Best regards
Han

propane tanks.
There is something called a telephone, which allows intelligent people to do something called a question.

The Daring Dufas wrote:

If you have a truck with the smallest available engine there is usually room, with the largest available there often isn't room.

The generator itself is efficient, the overall operation is not at all efficient. Idling a 200HP engine to run a 16HP load is not efficient. These generators are intended for TV and emergency vehicles where space and weight are at a premium, not efficiency. The alternative is a much more efficient complete genset with engine, but that is much larger and heavier.

That may have been true a decade ago, but it isn't today. Today's emissions controlled diesels should never be idled for long periods as it causes significant issues with the emissions controls.

Not a chance you'd fit that in any of the recent Ford diesel trucks and probably similar on other brands until you get up to class 6+ trucks. On my diesel F350 I spent two hours finding a place to mount a DC contactor that was about a 4" cube. I ended up having to remove a wheel well liner so I could install it upside down under the engine compartment fuse box.

Tractor PTO generators are a entirely different thing from the Auragen / Road Power and similar products.

And with the generator, you don't have freedom to mount it anywhere. It has to be mounted so that it can then be powered with a belt that connects to a pulley on the engine. Of course the fact that the extra pulley doesn't exist either, adds to the drama. Maybe, if you were very lucky, on some engines you could just use a longer belt that goes around everything, but the chances of that don't seem too good. Can you add a pulley without it hitting something? And I'll bet you wind up with a water hose, an AC hose, etc that's in the way too and has to be relocated.
If those Aura generators went into a SUV or pickup easily I'd think they would have a list of compatible vehicles, install kits, etc. I'm sure you can get them into some vehicles, but unless it's a priority, eg for an emergency vehicle or similar, I'll bet the cost, hassle, work, etc just isn't worth it compared to other easy solutions.

Also the emergency vehicle operator is not paying for the fuel to run the motor for hours at a time.
On 10/5/2012 6:12 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The whole idea was something for emergency use. There is a lot of talk these days about surviving the "SHTF" day. The post was always about "emergency" situations and existing alternatives. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

In a SHTF situation having your power source dependent on a vehicle vs. independently portable may not be a good thing. At any rate the SHTF is going to be a new Greater Depression, so I'm not sure a generator will be all that useful anyway. Better to look to have a small solar array that can provide for basic lighting and perhaps a radio.

Yep. SHTF is relative. If we're talking complete apocalypse, there isn't going to be anything to fuel a generator with. A guy I used to work with was a real-life Bear Grylls. He once said that you could drop him anywhere in the world with nothing but a knife, and he could readily survive. Then he modified that to say he didn't even need the knife, just a piece of steel from which to fashion his own knife. He grew up in the jungle, and though most such claims are just macho boasting, I'm pretty sure he could do it. Most of us don't know enough about living off the land to actually do it.
On 10/6/2012 9:04 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

North Pole?

I flew over there recently. Looking out the window, I didn't see him....
On 10/6/2012 11:37 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

*If* he was there, he was probably part of a steaming pile of polar bear poop.

Hopefully the killer bear got hemorrhoids from the knife.

In reality, I think we'd have to exclude that, among a few other places.
Antarctica. Middle of the ocean. Middle of the dead sea. Center of Sahara desert. Democrat National Convention. Detroit airport. Washington, DC, "murder capitol of the nation".

In reality, I think we'd have to exclude that, among a few other places.
On 10/6/2012 8:04 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

Small children are a good source of high quality protein. Back when Ireland had its Potato Famine someone wrote that the Irish had plenty of food running loose. ^_^
TDD