Generators

Page 2 of 2
On 9/28/2011 5:10 PM, dpb wrote:

Speaking of which, is that really any different than the throttle speed control on conventional gensets? They don't do anything more sophisticated than that, do they (at least the homeowner variety)?
On 9/29/2011 1:00 PM, dpb wrote:

You and Roy both talked about a 540 RPM PTO. That sort of implies that it is a constant speed and I wondered if it was and how they did it - inquiring minds want to know. Your answer that it is not fixed answered the question, thanks.
Back when I was around farm tractors (when I was a kid) they had maybe 6 gears forward and one reverse. Now air conditioning and GPS control. Then again, the farm I used to spend time on was 160 acres, a significant part pasture. Wouldn't work so good now. Compared to now the machines were really simple, but I enjoyed nosing around the machinery shed and tractors.

My lawnmower has a very rudimentary governor using a blade in the cooling air flow. Would think small generators would have something much better, but I haven't looked at a generator control. There is a big change in mechanical load from low power use to max, for which there must be some kind of speed regulation to control frequency.
Or the DC generators feeding an inverter.
--
bud--

dpb wrote:

Come to think on it, why don't devices with smaller engines have a PTO?
I could imagine a PTO on a lawnmower and a raft of attachements: * Brush cutter * Generator * Black water pump * Drain snake * ???

Cost. Liability. Need more?

I was thnking the same thing. I would really like a snowblower / generator / power washer / pump. It would get used infrequently, but often enough to keep it in good order.
paulaner wrote:

Wanna start a business? I can supply the ideas, you the capital. We'll make millions!
paulaner wrote:

My ex's father had something along those lines. He called it a 'tractor'. I know his had snowblower, tiller, snow plow, garden plow, sickle-bar, attachments. It was in the 15HP range and had a pair of maybe 4x15" tractor tires. He could hook it to a 4x4 trailer and it would tow him and a jag of wood across a field and up a pretty steep incline.
I think it was a 1930-40 vintage Ariens--- might have been Gravely.
Jim
dpb wrote:

To expand on the just-a-minute-ago post, why not a PTO for an automobile?
I can imagine a hook-up that replaces a tire on an auto's drive wheel. This hook up could connect to a stationary item such as a generator or water pump.
A car at idle burns about a gallon of gas per hour, which is not too much different that the consumption of a medium-hefty generator.
On 9/28/2011 4:15 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Some trucks have a PTO. The ones I can think of run a hydraulic pump, like a dump truck and boom truck.
I think some cars and pickup trucks have an added engine driven hydraulic pump, which may be more flexible than a PTO.
Presumably if you ran a generator from a PTO the gas consumption would go up because you are supplying power that has to come from somewhere.
--
bud--

On 9/21/2011 5:15 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I know these generators exist. How do you regulate the frequency - just tractor RPM? Would think that wouldn't be very accurate or stable. They could generate DC and invert it - seems excessively complicated.
--
bud--

On 9/22/2011 3:15 AM, bud-- wrote:

I think that the PTO on the tractors maintain a steady 540 RPM. If you needed 50 hz, you'd probably use a different generator. I don't know how quickly the tractor can make adjustments to the changing loads, as compared to the regulators on self-contained engine/generators