Generator wiring options

Page 3 of 3

Stormin Mormon wrote:

My PowerBoss has 5,500 running watts and 7,350 peak. I think tank is 7 gal but I've never run more than a tank in one day. Last time I used it was last week. I had a furnace check scheduled and power went out 4 hours before furnace guy was to arrive, so I turned on generator when he called and said he was on his way. He had no problem checking out furnace and there was power to the furnace room light so he could see well. Power came back about 2 hours after he left.
It's unfortunate the degradation in our power grid. We live in an area with a lot of trees and power company does not trim enough. After 11 outages one year lasting up to 3 days, I bought generator.
Eleven outages? That's enough to really make you think about alternatives. For a while, I had a marine battery on a float charger. I still have the marine battery. But, the float charger boiled the battery dry and killed it. Someday I may trade it in, get another battery. The goal was to run a power inverter, and from there to the furnace. So I could quietly run heat for an hour or so, when the electric was off. The inverter didn't have enough power, and after that I got a different furnace.
Do you have several UPS at your place, to provide a bit of run time for floor lamp, computer, that kind of thing?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus