Generator plugs

I've got an older generator with a 3-prong 240V outlet on it. L6-30R
My house has a bypass panel installed with 4-pin 240V plug on it. L14-30P
I need to make an adapter cable.
So at the generator I have the two hots and a ground. At the house I have two hots, ground, and a neutral.
Do I tape off the neutral, or bug it to the ground at the generator end of the adapter cable?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're now injecting messages via "A noisless patient spider" through Eternal September?
I thought only rascals who wanted to hide their identity did that.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Is your SEND button stuck?
It does not really mater as at the house, the ground and neutral wire are going to the same place. If the generator socket ground is connected to the frame of the generator, you are ok. Make sure the generator ground is also neutral to the 240 of the generator. There may not be a neutral for the 240 volt socket, but a ground to the frame of the generator.
I have a 5 kw generator that the 240 socket ( one with three holes) is grounded to the frame and also a neutral. The manual shows this as not correct, but that the 240 socket is ground is the frame of the generator and there is no neutral wire. If a neutral wire is desired, I was suspose to connect one of the 120 volt sockets neutral wires to the ground hole of that socket That was done by making a special 120 volt plug that had the neutral and ground connectred by a wire. This must have been a production change as I opened up the socket on the generator to check it out.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The power goes thru the neutral. It MUST be connected at both ends. What you do with the ground is the subject of local building codes. Call the building inspector in your jurisdiction and ask.
On 11/28/2011 10:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Your existing twist lok, is 30 amp 240 volt, plus ground. You need 30 amp 120/240, plus ground. Replace the existing twist lok with an L14-30 using the existing wires, and add a neutral, which will be going to the 120 volt receptacles on the machine
How many & how young is his wife ,wifes? Sounds like stormy is confused again !
Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LighthouseLamp