general lawnmower(self-propelled)

Does a mower have to have the drive belt in place to function? Mine broke and now it won't run, unless i spray a little starting fluid, Then just for a couple seconds...
stevengeorgia wrote:

Mine worked when it's transmission was broke, so I would say no. OTOH, there is a cable that needs to be pulled taut to allow the engine to run (are you "holding" that one?)

Bill wrote:

Having thought more about this, the belt goes around a pulley on the engine rotor and around another on the transmission (and it's a pretty tight fit). Of course there is a clutch mechanism too. At least on my Troy-Bilt, the belt and clutch can be removed in 10 minutes, if you wish to experiment. Replacing the transmission, should you ever need to do it, is much more tedious. It appears they are designed to wear out in 5-7 years. I replaced mine this year and the belt still looked brand new.