GE Silicone II Question

Hello,
I recently purchased at HD a small tube of:
GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Sealant Kitchen and Bath With Bio Seal
Haven't used a product like this in many years, and am wondering if I got the wrong "stuff," or if it is defective.
The way I remember 100% Silicone (used to be called RTV, I think; but this probably dates me) cured in a few hours to a rubber-like product. Tempted to call it a solid, but it would be a reasonably hard "rubber" when cured.
This stuff, after a day, still looks like it did when it came out of the tube. Perhaps a bit more solid, but certainly not rubber like. More like a Caulk, perhaps.
Doesn't the fact that the tube says 100% Silicone mean that it should, in a few hours, cure to a rubber like composition ?
Or, the fact that it says Kitchen and Bath mean that it is really a Caulk ? If so, what should I now buy instead, and what should the label say ?
Might it be an "old" tube ? What's the shelf life of this kind of product ? :
Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Robert11 wrote:

Bad tube. It should cure to a solid but flexible state in a few hours. Can you still smell acetic acid?
As to what you should buy, what is it you want to do?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Cure time to a flexible "rubber" is 6 hours. Sounds like you got a bad tube. Probably came from a bad batch.
On 2/21/2012 12:13 PM, Robert11 wrote:

Well, the GE FAQ "thoughts"...

<http://www.caulkyourhome.com/frequently-asked-questions.php#app_5

Maybe you'e expecting a harder product? I've used several brands of 100% silicone and they're all very flexible when cured. Definitely something you can poke through with your finger if the bead is wide enough.If you want something harder, 100% silicone may not be for you. Kitchen and bath silicone provides a very soft flexible seal when cured.

Used half of a new tube of Silicone II a few years ago on a roof vent sealing project...totally disappointed. Still gummy after several days. One trial convinced me they didn't get it right. The standard silicones, even the True Value el cheapo work just fine. So GE, Dow, box store brands, if they are regular silicone sealants, seem to perform OK for me.
Joe
On 2/21/2012 1:13 PM, Robert11 wrote:

Expired product will not cure. Good silicone II most definitely gets harder just like other RTV products when it cures.

Silicone I for me. I think silicone II will always take longer.
Greg