GE Profile Gas Cooktop Question

I have a GE gas cooktop, the model number is JGP989BC. It has one large burner, two medium burners, and one small burner. Occasionally, if all of the burners are on high, and I turn down the small burner all of the way (to low). The burner goes out. I don't think that is supposed to happen. What could be causing this? Or, is that burner just too touchy?

Thanks for any answers.

Reply to
JJ

I have the same burner set up on my GE stove. I don't think I've seen that happen. Is it worse when the oven is on? What size is the gas pipe leading to your stove? Is it 1/2" or 3/4" pipe?

Reply to
Mike rock

Gas supply is not enough, its likely to small pipe, if a flex connector was used at the stove the flex could be easily changed for a larger size. What happens when your gas heating system and gas dryer is turned on.

Reply to
ransley

Many gas cooktops have a small adjustment valve that sets the lowest gas flow level. It's usually part of the control. Because it is dangerous for a gas burner to go out on it's on these allow the installer to make sure they always get enough gas to stay on. Look and see if you have those. Then you can tweak up the small burner a bit while the others are on.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

My last house had 1/2" copper pipe and similar problems. I had my outdoor gas grill on the line (the installer from the gas co. stubbed it out with a valve at the end and later I ran it to the grill) and if that was on high the inside burners would go down but not out. It should have been 3/4" line, hell that was without the gas clothes dryer running.

Reply to
Tony

My stove has 3/4" pipe up until the last foot, then it goes to 1/2", then a flex pipe which then goes into the 1/2" inlet of the stove. I've had no problems.

Reply to
Mike rock

Well yes that sounds fine. The stove top itself is run off of 1/2". I had the stove, clothes dryer, and the gas grill all running off the main

1/2" pipe all the way to the tank. Not good at all.
Reply to
Tony

You were right. I found the adjustment, and it works fine now. Thanks.