GE 'Bright From The Start' hybrid light bulbs

Just to note that Consumer Reports tested this bulb and found that the CFL part of the bulb failed *very* prematurely (less than half the advertised life) if the light is turned off and on frequently.

-- Peace, bobJ

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Dang, you mean you can pee in less than a minute - WOW!

Reply to
Bob-tx

Must be a fireman with a 10 inch quick dump valve?

.

Dang, you mean you can pee in less than a minute - WOW!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I set up an OfficeMiser I found in my junk box. It has a rj11 port to plug in the motion sensor. It sees me coming down the hall and turns on the light for me.

Fake ID

Higher voltage than what they tested with?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Because:

A - I have yet to see a CFL that lights up instantly at 85%, even at room temp.

B - I have yet to see a freaking CFL manufacturer that even spec how long they take to put out say 75% of rated output.

They do say cute things like "instant on". Sure, they come on instantly, but not much light comes out of them when it's 30F for a long time.

Reply to
trader4

Maybe for some of us, the alleged savings in CFL and the other drawbacks just aren't worth it for many applications. I've tried them for example in my basement and the time it takes to get reasonable light just ain't worth it. I could eat SPAM instead of steak to save a few bucks. Should I do that too?

As for a closet light, it will be a long time before I spend $7 on a light bulb where I use it for a few mins a day, if that.

quoted text -

If you don't find fluorescent objectionable.... And it seems a bit odd to me to be going to lights on 24/7 to cover up the defects with energy saving lights as an effective way to save energy.

I have to admit I've done the same thing. For example, I have some recessed CFLs in the kitchen. Because they take so long to get any reasonable light out of them, I now leave them on for hours where before with incandscents I would turn them on for a few mins. Now they are on from 5PM until midnight. Probably using more energy than before. Now that you made me think about it I think I'll take em out.

Reply to
trader4

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:zHjMq.13802$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Confucious say "Man who fart in church, sit in own pew."

Reply to
Mr. Grumpypants

Power factor of the CFL part is lousy. 20/30 is about right.

But thanks for the info. It proves my point.

If you have a lamp that's stays on a lot, the halogen part is of little or no value to you.

If you have a lamp that is frequently switched on for a minute or less, a lamp that takes 98 watts for a minute and has short life when switched frequently and costs a LOT is of negative value to you.

You get the worst of both the halogen and the CFL.

Stated another way, the halogen/CFL combination is a marketing wet dream designed to separate the gullible from their cash. The best of the CHEAP "normal" CFL's work fine for all but the persnickety with too much cash.

Reply to
mike

When I fart, sometimes I wished it were in the dark. So, it works out just fine.

.

Every time you fart the light goes on/off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Many fluorescents are dim in a 67F room. I have several in closets, and such, at home and a few of them here in the apartment. CFLs are worse.

Reply to
krw

Use two.

Reply to