Gate Valves Under Sink - Two Problems

Well, I tried to shut off the gate valves under the sink so that I could install new washers on the kitchen faucets and found two problems.
The hot water valve closed and immediately started leaking. Since it's a high-rise condominium, I don't have immediate access to the watershutoff. I tightened the compression nut as tight as I could and that stopped the leaking --- but every time I reopen the hot water valve, it leaks.
The cold water valve won't budge!!! I'm pretty big with years of weight lifting behind me but it won't move at all.
Appreciate any help from the plumbing experts out there.
DJ
Unfortunately those valves only last about 10 years. I heard the new ball valves last longer but my plumber says the small ones aren't perfected yet so he is sticking with the old small turnoffs for now. You need to turn off the water at the shutoffs and replace both valves, unfortunately, which you probably already new.

Many such valves have a back seat, so if you open it ALL the way the back seat will stop the stem leak.

Are you sure you are turning it in the right direction? Have you tried wiggling it in both directions?

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
"DangerMan" wrote in message

Heh.
A friend wanted to replace a sink. There were separate shut-offs in the basement (for a few apartments at a time), and had gotten permission from the landlord to shut it off at a reasonable time.
The sink was a bit of a nightmare - iron pipe feeds, was only able to get it working again by manually reaming out the stubs.
Then the fun began - when my friend tried to turn the water back on, the shutoff broke...
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est