Gas water heater, tank vs tankless

Page 2 of 3

Tankless is the way to go. It's the future. I've never known anyone who installed a tankless water heater and said they regretted the decision.
It's just so much more logical: unlimited hot water when you need it, and no waste of energy when you don't. The claim that they don't save much energy is a crock of shit, as you'll realize the first time you go on vacation and don't have to remember to turn off the water heater.
1.news.tds.net...

Sure they save energy, it's just a question of how much versus the increased upfront cost, whether you need to upgrade gas, etc. If you don't turn off your water heater when you go on vacation, how much do you think that amounts to? A dollar? My entire gas bill in summer, which is the tank water heater plus outside gas grill, is maybe $20. That includes usage for the month, as well as standby loss. Other factors to consider are the loss of hot water during power outages and that people have reported problems with the units not firing up with small draw situations.

Sure they save energy, it's just a question of how much versus the increased upfront cost, whether you need to upgrade gas, etc. If you don't turn off your water heater when you go on vacation, how much do you think that amounts to? A dollar? My entire gas bill in summer, which is the tank water heater plus outside gas grill, is maybe $20. That includes usage for the month, as well as standby loss. Other factors to consider are the loss of hot water during power outages and that people have reported problems with the units not firing up with small draw situations. _____________
Do you shower in the dark?
As for small draw problems, this was addressed years ago by most manufacturers. One may still run into it on very cheap units.
g01.news.tds.net...

Do you only shower at night? Plenty of light in my bathroom during the day. As for night, ever hear of lanterns, candles, etc? In a power outage, I have used hot water and was happy to have it. It's up to each individual to decide how important a factor that is in their decision

You pay twenty dollars for the month. Some months. You gotta peel out the overhead.
I live in a duplex converted to a single-family home. Originally I had two natural gas bills.
By contacting the gas company, I found out that the minimum charge - even if no gas was used - is $17.00 / month. That probably covers accounting, preparing and mailing the bill, reading the meter, etc.
Screw this! With a little re-plumbing I connected the gas distribution system of one side of the duplex to the other and discontinued gas service for the parasite side. $200/year savings for a couple hours work and $10 worth of fittings.
Anyway, your bill for gas is really much lower than might otherwise be apparent.

It can be, you have to see what therms you use. My minimum was 9$, some months in summer with tankless, gas cooking and dryer if I tried and didnt shower long I got mine to what would be 6-8$ by therm usage, but its work like using HW only for shaving and missing showers. I have found my biggest water use is washing dishes. I just wanted to know how little energy I could use.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:43:14 -0800 (PST), ransley

Sorry ransley but that is just plain freaking gross. Missing showers just to save a few bucks? I guess you just have the dog lick the dishes clean too to save hot water? Pry that damn wallet open and spend a couple bucks. No one wants to smell you. Bubba

Learn E.F. ratings is like AFUE but for water heaters bubbanuts.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:58:30 -0800 (PST), ransley

I have. It appears you havent. Go take a shower, stinky. Bubba

Nobody wants to listen to your wrong info. Especialy since your suposidly a pro.
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:01:34 -0800 (PST), ransley

Hey retard. Learn to spell. Christ! You probably have a spell check in the program you are using to post you dimwit. That way you won't look like such a toothless moron. Maybe if you would just shower the crud off your filthy body you would be able to think better. See ya stinky. Bubba
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:15:31 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:
message

$20 ! Nobody can live in a shack that small. Do you not take showers in the summer or are you heating water in solar panels on the roof? Bubba
ng01.news.tds.net...

I bet his "shack" costs 10x what you think is a house, knowing Trader.
Bubba wrote:

message
that's all mine is in the summer also.

ing01.news.tds.net...
my understanding is efficeny is overall efficency rating. thermal efficency is JUST the heating part. And the typical furnace rating/...........
which discounts the electric to to operate the device. for a water heater thats the ignitor bower and sensors.
I was futher told tankless ratings are thermal efficency numbers.
this all from a company selling heating equiptement furnaces water heaters etc
ok ransleyy and bubba round 8!!!!!!!!
1.news.tds.net...

Many are unhappy because they dont test gas supply with competing apliances on and factor winters reduced gas flow. I have one and am happy mine was under 500, sure you save but not as much with a big family. Figure with a big unit you could spend 1500-3000 for tankless. Now you weigh in payback at 15-3000, the game changes. At $500 its no question I won with 4-5 yr payback. Its not for all but should be with a big Gov credit, like 80% of unit price, after all we give billions to just Mid East countries that hate us.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid wrote:

You obviously have talked to many. Of course most of them get the K&N filter syndrome.. They won't admit it was a wrong decision , cause they got ripped..

It's not logical at all. They won't make 140+ degree water in the winter unless you're where there is no winter. And why would you turn it off for vacation?
steve

Definitely tank. At least 50 gallon, maybe 60.
A single tankless heater just won't be able to keep up with the demand of up to three showers plus someone in the kitchen. You know it'll happen.

Definitely tank. At least 50 gallon, maybe 60.
A single tankless heater just won't be able to keep up with the demand of up to three showers plus someone in the kitchen. You know it'll happen.
yeah....<sigh> it probably will eventually, when the kids are a little older.
Any truth to the axiom that you can go down 2 sizes when moving from electric to gas hwh's due to better recovery time? eg: currently an 80gallon electric, go to 50 gallon gas.
jc
Joe wrote:

50 is plenty
steve