gas water heater ???s

Hi

ITEM

3 year old 40 gal gas water heater. Uses natural gas All plumbing and venting 3 years new. Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

tia

.
Reply to
HS

If the water was hot all day, the heater was simply not calling for the burner to come on. This is controlled by the thermostat on the front of the gas control.

From what you reported, doesn't sound like a problem.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It sounds like the thermocouple is weak or misaligned or the pilot jet may need cleaning or adjusting. None of those are expensive or difficult to do.

I am not sure what "Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner." means. If you mean you tried to turn on the burner without the pilot on or right after lighting it, that could be your problem The main burner should not light with the pilot out and it may take a few seconds to warm up the sensor to allow the main burner to kick in. .

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

HvacTech2 wrote: ...

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I am sorry you see life that way. Sorry we don't seem to agree on advice. At least I offered some. Funny it seems you did not. I think I was more helpful. You seem to be the only one with a general problem with the advice I give. I will continue to offer advice and if and when you point out where I was wrong (and not just wrong in your opinion) I will acknowledge that and try to add it to my stock of personal knowledge. You have in the past be helpful in pointing out one or more errors of mine. The trouble is not everything you point out is an error.

I believe that if you can step back a while we can both profit from peaceful exchanges of information, rather than insults.

Please continue to look over my shoulder and alert me when you believe I have made an error.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sorry, That reference WAS my error.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Without addressing the specifics of this thread of which I have no knowledge let me go on he record as stating two facts:

  1. Joseph has contributed accurate, timely advice in several thread in this group in the past.
  2. This group is currently being attacked by troll like HVAC people who ruined their own group and are trying to do the same here. They offer no constructive advice an attack people who contribute.

Whether "HvacTech2" is one of those trolls or not I leave it for you to Google, read all the posts he has made and decide for yourself.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 08-May-05 At About 13:07:36, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: gas water heater ???s

JM> From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM> HS wrote: >> Hi

JM> It sounds like the thermocouple is weak or misaligned or the pilot JM> jet may need cleaning or adjusting. None of those are expensive or JM> difficult to do.

JM> I am not sure what "Tried several times over five hours with pilot JM> off, relite no burner." means. If you mean you tried to turn on the JM> burner without the pilot on or right after lighting it, that could JM> be your problem The main burner should not light with the pilot JM> out and it may take a few seconds to warm up the sensor to allow JM> the main burner to kick in. ..

And here we are again mr. meehan. what if he has a power vented heater? I just admit he isn't as clear as he should be but you are answering questions you know nothing about Again!! it does sound as though he has a power vented heater.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 09-May-05 At About 06:27:34, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: gas water heater ???s

JM> From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM> HvacTech2 wrote: .... >

Not your existence. just the fact that you try to answer questions you know nothing about. you see, if that is a power vented heater with spark ignition and he were to follow your advice he would be reaching into a pilot that would give him about a 7000 volt shock. this is why I I constantly try to correct your advice. there are plenty of pros in here now so why not let them give correct answers rather than your dangerous ones?

JM> Perhaps if you have some additional information that p-nut can use, JM> maybe you should offer it.

I never saw the original but with more info I could give him an answer. Meanwhile why don't you let the pros handle these questions? Please, before someone gets hurt.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Joseph, hope you are having a nice day

On 09-May-05 At About 20:40:50, Joseph Meehan wrote to All Subject: Re: gas water heater ???s

JM> From: "Joseph Meehan"

JM> HvacTech2 wrote:

JM> I am sorry you see life that way. Sorry we don't seem to agree on JM> advice. At least I offered some. Funny it seems you did not.

had I seen the original I would have offered advice. I really am sorry that That there are people like you here as you are eventually going to hurt someone. as I said there are plenty of pros in here to answer these questions so why do you feel it is necessary to give improper and sometimes dangerous advice? I really would like to understand why you feel you must do this? to anyone else reading this. Please do not follow his advice as it can be dangerous or cause injury.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2