Gas water heater anode is gone....

Page 2 of 3
On Jan 31, 8:01pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

a water heater leak in a garage probably means no damage to your home, ther than a wet floor

And the sheetrock below it. And the laundry floor, below it. ...and the basement, below that.
A leak in the basement would just run out the other side (a walk-out).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You have a basement under your garage?
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:23:15 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

2 friends actually did - over 'n under shop with a pit that opened into the lower level. Front entry at the top, rear entry at the rear - work-shop -store garden tractor / snowmobiles, etc.
VERY usefull!!!!! (but no water heater in the garage - (if you don't heat the garage, the water pipes would freeze.)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not in Central Florida. :)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 02:46:44 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

My friends didn't live in central florida - and if they did the lower level "garage" would have had to be a boat-house.
You couldn't pay me enough to live in central, or any other part, of Florida. The hot as hades, and high humidity I could stand - at least I did when I was a young fella - Not much different than southern Zambia. But the bloody hurricaines every year or so I can do without!!! And I like being able to get more than 50 feet above sea level without climbing a ladder. And more than 2 feet below ground without needing a sump pump.
On Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:50:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not so with a "raised ranch" style. They're not unknown in Canuckistan, either.

On Feb 1, 3:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I live in pennsylvania and HATE WINTER, today the wind chill was below zero. Worse I am a service tech and on the road all day in snow and cold... 6 inches of snow on the way starting tomorrow:( Plus its gloomy much of the year:(
I much prefer florida weather and hope to move there someday:)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You must be a liberal, since you know so much that isn't true.
The nearest town (~2 miles) is listed as 79 feet ASL. I've lived here 25 years, and had hurricanes three of those years. The first house was next to a marsh, and you hit mucky water at about 12 feet. Florida sits on a large sheet of limestone, over the aquifer. The aquifer is replenished by rainwater that seeps through that limestone, which requires the soil to hold the water till it goes through the rock. It's supposed to be 33 degrees her, tonight and in the 60s tomorrow.
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 03:50:23 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Now that's funny. The OP exaggerated a bit so you took the opportunity to call him names and then went about proving his point. Same reasons you'll never find me living in Florida. The two times I was there it was muggy and uncomfortable, once in Dec, the other in Jan. No way would I want to go in the summer.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:31:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Not in Georgia. The WH is in the attic, above the garage, of my Alabama house. Not even insulation on the pipes.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:23:15 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Under the water heater, yes. It's in a cutout made into the laundry but open on the garage side.
On 1/31/2013 7:02 PM, bob haller wrote:

That's why there are drain pans for water heaters. I never install a tank type water heater without one. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 06:11:42 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

That was not the whole idea. A water heater in the ATTIC??? If it leaks the water rund DOWN through everything - everything is soaked before you know there is a problem. And in a closet id is usually jammed in with not much room around it - and can leak for quite a while before it is seen. In a basement (unfinished area - on concrete floor) when it leaks the water heads for the floor drain, under the subfloor if there is one, and does little damage unless it ruptures. Not being jammed into a dark closet it is more likely to be checked every once in a while.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 17:07:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My AL house has the WH in the attic, above the garage, in what would be the "bonus room" (unfinished). It's in a pan with about a 1" drain hose from the pan to daylight (behind the heat pumps).

I spend a LOT of my time in the basement. Hardly a Cellar. Up here the basement is VERY often finished, heated living space.

I realise it's not always possible - but even a "service room" would usually be possible unless you are building in a swamp. I didn't say destroy what already exists - but in halt the US a "storm cellar" wouldn't be a bad idea anyway.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:18:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When you dig down two feet and the water starts to fill the hole, you don't make a basement. Tens of thousands of homes are in that situation, especially in the south.

Like I said - building in a swamp.
On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:18:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It wouldn't be a bad idea, except that in many locations it would be below water.