Gas water heater and home inspection

Page 2 of 2

What's your goal?
Selling the house?
Or playing "You're not the 'boss' of me! You can't make me! Nyanh, nyanh, nyanh, nyanh!"
Tell the buyer to buzz off, and go with the next lower biddng buyer, the one who gave you the second highest offer.
Don't have another offer?
Don't want to relist and go through the sales process again?
Then maybe you get the heater raised. Its a very easy fix.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.

You are probably correct, but I don't know the code for your area. Why not ask the building inspector? Once you determine the law, you can decide on a remedy. You can show it does not have to be changed, you can pay to have it changed, or you can take $200 off the selling price.
Being right in this case, may not be the best alternative. If the buyer is insistent you risk losing the sale.

Huh? The purpose of the 18" requirement is to minimize the ignition of heavier-than-air hazardous fumes -- such as gasoline or natural gas -- by the flames from a gas water heater. Now assuming someone refuels their lawn mower in an upstairs bedroom, wouldn't the fumes travel down the stairs before reaching the water heater?
Your inspector is not the sharpest tack in the box, you ask me.

lawn
DING-DING-DING-DING, we have a winner! The reason for a WH stand is to keep the pilot (which is at the BOTTOM of the WH) above any gas vapors. This elevation will prevent ignition of said vapors. Look at a furnace, the flames are usually about 12-18 inches up.

DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING, we REALLY have a winner! most home inspectors don't have a clue why the 'rules' are the way they are. The inspector just fills out a form and collects money.

the 18 inch rule only applies to a garage installation. Per the 2000 IRC.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
Natural gas is lighter than air.....
Propane is heavier
In earthquake prone areas HT tanks must be firmly attached to the building lest they fall over and hurt someone in a quake.
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Well, that's a relief! I live in Gwinnett Co., GA, and I just had a new water heater installed, which is *sitting on the floor* of the unfinished regular sized room next to my garage. There is no room between floor and heater which kind of bothered me. :\\ bj