Gas Water Heater?

Hi
ITEM 3 year old 40 gal gas water heater. Uses natural gas All plumbing and venting 3 years new. Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.
Pilot went out Sunday.
Relit Pilot ok Burner would not fire.
Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.
House water was hot all day.
House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.
Later that nite Burner fired up
Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?
tia
.
No way to tell.
But most all water heaters carry a minimum 5 year warranty - if not 10.
Check with the plumbing co. who installed it.
Matt
HS wrote:

As Matt said, it is likely under warrantee. Use that first.
As for the actual problem, I would guess the thermocouple would be first suspect.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Replace thermocouple. It's the cheapest and easiest part to replace.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

How did you discover the pilot went out? If you have hot water in the tank it's not supposed to fire up the burner.
If you never went without hot water, then I'd say nothing is wrong. Perhaps the pilot just blew out somehow.