Gas oven thermostat replacement

I replaced my gas oven thermostat yesterday. The job was easier than I thought it would be and I have some questions after the fact. 1)After turning off the gas and unplugging the electric cord, I took off the knobs and front of the oven to expose the old thermostat. I simply unscrewed the 2 nuts that attached the 2 lines into the thermostat and removed the old thermostat, put the new thermostat into place and reattached the 2 lines. I than put everything back together. My questions are: The new thermostat came with 2 new nuts but I simply used the old nuts that were already attached to the existing lines. I didn't know if a special tool was required to crimp the nuts to the lines and they appeared to be secure. Is that ok? And
What are the 2 different lines leading into the thermostat? I'm just curious why there are 2 lines, one larger than the other.
Any response to my questions would be greatly appreciated so that I can put my mind at ease that my house won't blow up from a gas explosion. :)
marc lipsitz wrote:

its alright to use the old nuts.. the new ones probably cost about 2 cents each and the manufacturer just puts them in the pack which is common with appliance parts.... the reason you had to replace it is that you probably used Oven cleaner which ate the gaseous filled tube that goes into the oven the sense the heat..... i would say that the skinny one is for the pilot and is the thermocopler for the pilot.. the heavier one is a sensor for the gas oven to tell the burner when to turn off when it reaches 300, 400, 500 degrees or what ever you set it to.. i could be mistaken, it might be the skinny one might be for the oven.. just replace it like the old one and you should not have any problems...
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com (marc lipsitz) wrote in message

Hi,
Yes there is a tool to cut the tubing.

Along as they don't leak it is normally fine.

One is probably pilot light gas feed and the other is main burner gas feed.
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/pilotstyle.JPG