Garbage disposer

I am looking for a garbage disposer to install under kitchen double sink. What model, type HP to use? I want powerful enough to handle whatever garbage I need to put into it and at the same time I want quite operation. And of cause quality and reliability is very important.

Over the years I've used the better models of Kitchen Aid and InSinkErator (both made by the same company) with good luck. I recently replace the KA with a new one after about 15+ years of use.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Sasha wrote:

I've had a new InSinkerator 3/4 HP installed for a few weeks and I'm very satisfied with it. It's got enough power and is much better than the 1/2 HP model it replaced. I'd have gone with the 1 HP model but it's a bit too large for the space I have.
IIRC the model number of the 3/4 HP unit I refer to is 555ss.
Noise was not much of an issue for me so you may want to demo some before buying. I was told Franke makes a 3/4 HP unit that is quieter than the InSinkerator.

Hi,
Some consumers opinions may help....
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Disposals/show_~recent_content
For typical home use, I'd go with a 3/4hp unit. If you intend to grind lots of tough stuff, eg bones, then I'd get a 1hp. I just installed a new Insinkerator 3/4hp unit. Got it at Lowes. Apparently Lowes has some models made just for them, as I didn't see them anywhere else. One thing I liked about these were they had nice polished stainless flanges that go in the sink drain. By comparison, the Sears units had dull stainless that looks like crap in a nice sink. As far as sound, it's pretty quiet compared to the old one it replaced.
One think I did learn a little late, was the Insinkerator doesn't have a removable rubber baffle in the opening. The opening is also smaller than the old GE unit I replaced. Those two things make it harder to get your hand inside to retrieve anything.

I've been through about seven of them in 40+years, cheap ones and good ones. The cheap ones use poor materials in the grinder bowl and have lasted as little as 2 to 3 years, due either to erosion or corrosion. The good ones use stainless steel and last 10 years or more in my experience. If the specifications mean nothing to you, look at the warrantee -- longer is better. Noise? My present 5-year warranted Insinkerator is mounted on a stainless steel sink, a relatively loud combination. --- SJF

Go to your local auto supply store for some sound-deadening material -- the sort you stick inside door panels or on floorboards to reduce road noise in a car. It works well to quiet down a resonating stainless sink, too.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
A 1/2 hp Insinkerator or Emerson is probably the best value. Under $100, will grind just about anything and if it breaks you just throw it away and buy a new one. Don't spend a lot on this appliance.

Your advice is good for those that enjoy working under the sink every few years. It is not one of my greatest pleasures in life so I went with more HP and a model further up the line.

Not good, I agree. But I was pleasantly surprised that my new Insinkerator could be hung on the old Sears sink adapter saving most of the work. Apparently, the mounting details have been standardized by most manufacturers. --- SJF

Sears disposers are made by InSinkErator, so that's not much of a surprise.

While that may be correct, I wouldn't count on it.

I have a Kenmore 3/4 HP which works very well. I've had it for 5 yr with no problems. It seems quiet enough.