garbage disposal leak

I recently installed a new Badger 10s garbage disposal to replace the older, much wider unit which had died. The new unit is slimmer than the old unit and the elbow drain connector which came with the new unit was too short to reach the existing drain out from under the sink. I purchased and installed a "universal" drain connector which is accordian style to adjust the length. It fit fine, but since then I've noticed some dripping from the point where the drain inlet meets the disposal.
I've tightened the screws holding the drain pipe on the disposal as much as I can, but it still drips a little, especially after using the disposal.
Is there some sort of sealant I can swab on there to make it more water tight? Any other suggestions?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you are sure it's coming out from the screwed flanged joint between the drain pipe and the disposal body, remove the screws and check the gasket to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation.
If the gasket looks OK, then try smearing a film of silicone caulk on both sides of it and reinstalling it.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
<< If you are sure it's coming out from the screwed flanged joint between the drain pipe and the disposal body, remove the screws and check the gasket to make sure it wasn't damaged during installation. If the gasket looks OK, then try smearing a film of silicone caulk on both sides of it and reinstalling it. >>
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
<< Well, your FIRST mistake was to not buy a replacement that occupied the same "space" as the old one. >>
Couldn't be helped. The old one was 10+ years old and huge. The ones they make now are smaller and more powerful.
<< If you don't have enough slip joints in the drain then you might have to replace some of the drain plumbing so that the adaptor just "slides" into place after the disposal is in place. >>
Not quite sure I follow. It's dripping where the water drains out of the disposal, not where the end of the drain line meets the drain plumbing.

Had one doing that. Cheated and loaded up the gasket with liquid teflon before screwing down. Hope it doesn't eat up the rubber gasket...
Well, your FIRST mistake was to not buy a replacement that occupied the same "space" as the old one.
But that's water over the dam.
Insofar as possible you want the last adaptor piece to have no stress on it.
If you don't have enough slip joints in the drain then you might have to replace some of the drain plumbing so that the adaptor just "slides" into place after the disposal is in place.
Frankly, they can stand a "little" misallignment (I know that from experience) so you might really be forcing things.