garbage disposal does not work

KitchenAid 150. I have tried the hex wrench (it moves freely), and the reset button. It's not working. I get the slight buzz/humm sound when I turn it on. In the past, once, the hex wrench did the trick. Please help, this is driving me crazy, thanks.

Take a flashlight and look in from the top. Something is keeping it from spinning.
Steve
Thanks. I just looked at/examined it with a flashlight; there does not seem to be anything blocking it. The link "news.11407..." did not work.
Thank you.
oh, that link was this! Sorry about that.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If'n you can rotate it through one or more complete turns in both directions with that hex wrench, then.....
It's not an open overload breaker, because the motor wouldn't hum at all if that was the problem.
It sure sounds to me like the motor's centrifugal starter switch didn't close the last time the unit was turned off.
Unless you're talented at motor repair and can obtain the required parts, you're probably in for buying a new unit. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but a professional repair by a motor shop would probably cost more than a new replacement disposer.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

If it moves freely, hums, but does not start, good chance the motor is dead. If it is more than a few years old, probably cheapest to replace it.
Thanks for the bad news. I will reluctantly get a new unit.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Think how much worse the news would have been if it was you CAR'S motor that gave up the ghost. :)
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Update: over the weekend, lots of cooking and using the sink, and hexing it back and forth to help the sink drain. The buzz/humm when I flip the switch is louder now; it *seems* like it wants to start up. Like a car that is close to turning over.
Can't help with that but if you decide to buy a new one try this Company. THey have the only disposer treated with an antimicrobial agent for odor protection.http://www.joneca.com/commodore-food-waste-disposers.html