Garage opener light bulbs a waste of money!

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:14:13 GMT, The Wobulator

Use lower wattage bulbs.

Rough service bulb. Working to date, where the garage door opener ones died in a few weeks.
John Hines wrote:

The bulbs in my opener is almost 9 years old. Try higher voltage one like 130V. Tony

It is the vibration that kills them.

Actually it is usually poor contact w/ the bulb. The metal tab at the bottom of the socket tends to flatten out & separate slightly from the bulb which causes arcing between the contact & the bulb. Bend the tab upward (unit unplugged of course)& clean the contact tab if necessary & the cheapest bulbs you can find will work just fine.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net (Doordoc) wrote:

A brand new garage door opener, and the 2 pack of "garage door opener" bulbs, lasted a month. The first rough service bulb is still going strong 6 months later.

I bought a cheap 300 watt halogen flood, mounted a box to the ceiling, ran wires from the opener to the box, and mounted the flood on it. It has been up for 3-4 years. Gives better light too. Greg
Thanks for all the great ideas! The remote light was a good one and also the rough service bulb.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:14:13 GMT, The Wobulator

The Wobulator
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*