Garage Floor Paint-1 year later

Before moving into my first house last year, I decided to paint the garage floor to seal it. I used Rustoleum 2 Part Epoxy, gray in color, and proceeded to clean the surface and paint the floor.

Well, I a have problem with half of the garage floor, in that it is peeling. I believe the problem lies in the fact that I did each side of the garage separately, and really had to put the paint on THIN to get full coverage. The estimations on the instructions are way out of wack. I was under their estimations and still had trouble covering everything.

If I were to do this again, I recommending buying an extra gallon and really laying it on thick. After all, this is epoxy, not latex or oil paint. The thick side of my garage is in perfect shape. I've even dragged heavy metal objects across the floor, with only small scratches in the paint.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I simply swept my 16 year old house's basement floor with a broom and then painted it with some concrete paint that I bought at Home Depot a couple of years ago. Still looks good.

Reply to
mark

The difference is that your not drivring a vehicle in the basement with hot tires or salt ,sand and gravel on them,

I think you need to apply a muratic acid solution to the floor before you apply any type of paint to concrete. Tom.

Reply to
tflfb

Apparently that wasn't needed in my case, as the end result (plus 2+ years) still looks as good as it did the day it was applied.

I've read that the muriatic acid is overkill and is the old way of doing it, and not practical or needed nowadays. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but I do know I didn't need it for my concrete floor.

Reply to
mark