Garage floor

We have the usual concrete garage floor. We've painted it but it comes off after time.
Would a covering of sheet vinyl work? Glued down, or unglued? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
--
snipped-for-privacy@giveitup.com

limey at toad dot net
How big of a garage, what about a garage floor matt, Sams used to have em for about $120, 10x21, great in the winter.
Tom

Well, since I'm a dumb blonde, maybe one of you kind gentlemen would tell me the correct way to do it right.

Real garage paint has the instructions on the can. You need to follow them exactly, no short cuts.
Now you have a problem because of the existing paint. It really should be removed.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

But - but - but it's already down and peeling, so it's very hard to do right when it's already been done wrong. Mine was etched and painted in 1966 and is still solid, but I did have one of those commercial sprayed on vinyl chip surfaces that were very popular at the time. Cost 5 times regular paint, but has well paid for it's self.
Tom J

Well, it looks as though I can blame the builder, who went ahead and painted it "for a favor". Which leads me back to my original question: can I put down sheet vinyl? If so, can it be glued down? Thanks for any reply.

You can put the vinyl floor covering down OK. 1st you need to scrape up all the loose paint. The floor may need leveling where the paint came up, or at lease the edges of the spots where the loose paint was removed sanded to "feather" those spots so these spots won't show through the vinyl after laying. The most critical part is getting the correct mastic for setting the vinyl to the floor. Make sure it is for cement with ground contact and for the brand vinyl you will be using. Good Luck!!
Tom J who would have a flooring contractor do it!!

***sounds good to me! Many thanks, Tom.
I want to paint my garage floor. I know it is all in the preparation and there are a bunch of paint choices out there. I had a thought and I wonder if someone else has tried it.
I painted my basement floor, cleaned it, etched it, and primed and painted it with Behr. The Behr primer really soaked into the concrete. The floor actually looked like Home Depots floor, shinny but sealed. But when I painted the floor and wall there were spots where the paint really did stick well and was kind of thick only to chip off. I know in certain spots it will ware away.
I was thinking that if I take a quart or so of the paint and mix it with a gallon of the primer it will really get into and penetrate the concrete. Has any one ever tried something like this. I know there is stain but I think this will cover the stains that are already in the floor. Two year old house, never painted.
I've used paint on a previous garage (Sherwin Williams concrete paint for garages) and it did well everywhere except where the auto tires parked. I experience hot tire pickup and it wore down to concrete. It was on new construction so I didn't do any prep work.
Just moved and did it again with an Epoxy mixture (Durall) hoping to avoid the hot tire pickup. I used a degreaser and then went back with Muratic acid before I put on 2 coats of epoxy. Looks great, but then it's only been 3 months so the jury is still on on how well it holds up.

thanks simonite, i checked the web page out

There seems to have been a number of people who have been unhappy with the Behr products. I really can't say.
I used a two part epoxy and it worked great.
I suspect your idea of mixing the primer and the finish coat is not going to work. Each has as purpose and mixing will likely defeat both.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Well, I didn't actually paint my garage floor, but I did use an epoxy sealer specifically formulated for concrete. It helps with keeping the floor clean and from staining. The sealer made the surface slicker and makes it easy to sweep out the dirt that accumulates. It dries faster too.

what brand? how is it holding up?

Epoxy is the way to go but be careful of the fumes. Read the directions.

Oh, if you go epoxy I'd recommend using an ant-slip additive. When you drive your wet car in after a rainstorm or after the wife pulls out and leave the AC condensation puddle the floors are pretty slick.

A product that does not peal and will hold up for years under tires is HC concrete stain. Sherwin Williams has it, as well as other products, you have a few options.. with HC you really need a fan and alot of fresh air, and a respirator