Garage door replacement advice.

I own a 1948 house. The garage door is a single door, age unknown. Metal panel door, 4 panels, with a garage door opener that pulls it open from the top. The door jammed at some time in the past, before I bought the house, and damaged the top 2 panels. The top of the top panel was pulled inwards, and there is a 6" gap at the top of the door. I have to shove it against the frame and put a screw through it to hold it closed. I would like to just replace the entire thing. Any advice/suggestions on how to do this? Are replacement garage door kits readily available, easy to install?
Check out the selection at your local HomeDepot or Lowes Home Center. Garage doors are not difficult to install at all, as long as you have some common sense and a little mechanical aptitude.
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

Rich wrote:

And a helper. The things are heavy.

Kits can be ordered from any home center. It is probably a few hours with two people.
You may also find that you can have one installed by a pro for not much more money and save a lot of aggravation. In my case, they hauled away the old door and did a perfect job with the new one. At least call the local door guy. You may find it a good deal when all factors are considered.
this is a once in a lifetime job, call an overhead door company. and get a quiet rubber belt garage door opener you will really like it.