Garage door opening randomly

Page 1 of 2
I have a sears garage door opener that opens when it wants. I've removed the batteries from the key pad outside the door, so that's ruled out I have one remote in my truck that is in my driveway and the other remote is in my car. This has happened 4 times so far and I can't find the cause.
Is there a way to tell the opener to only use "these remotes" and ignore others or something along those lines?
This is really frustrating as you can imagine!
Thanks for any help, Rich

I had the same problem and mine also was from Sears. Seems several neighbors close to me also had Sears brand openers. Change the code and see if that works for you, it worked for me.

I had the same problem and mine also was from Sears. Seems several neighbors close to me also had Sears brand openers. Change the code and see if that works for you, it worked for me.
Great thanks for the tip but how do I change the code?
Rich
Rich wrote:

If you can catch it during the opening/closing sequence, quickly check your neighbors for similar behavior. I'll bet the neighbor just installed his and probably still has the installation manual which should contain the instructions.

Changing the code would be a possible solution. I would look on the website to download a manual or cal the 1 800 sears number and they may be able to mail you out one.
If you want to be sure the keypad is not the cause of the problem you really need to disconnect the wires or check out their path for shorts. The keypad or a button completes the electric circuit, so if there is a short the switch would be activated. If you look on the garage door unit you can disconnect the wires which are wrapped around a screw. To find your problem you will have to eliminate as many causes as possible. Good luck.

Mine did this a couple of times and it was the wired switch. I replaced the switch and the prroblem was fixed. Its entirely possible that your neighbor has the same code as yours. When the installers put them in they usually set them to the same code, all switches on or all switches off. When my subdivision was new I took a walk one day jst to see how many I could open with my remote. When the first 4 opened I got frightened and quit.

they or you would need to change setting. WW

OK that is my question how do I change the setting? I know how to teach a remote I don't know how to remove one or more. I just want to start over and teach it the two remotes I use.
Thanks for the help, Rich
Rich wrote:

Inside the remote is a set of dip switches. On the back of the opener is another set of dip switches. Note how they are set, then change BOTH sets of switches to another number combination. It's just a binary code on is 1 and off is 0. You may need to check the manual for acceptable ranges. If you screw it up, put them back to where they were. (they may do it differently now, mine are older models)
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

take (digital) pictures of the switches B4 you change them ! (don't ask me how i know) ...
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:50:37 -0800 (PST), "gnu / linux"

Why do they have to be digital?

Most people would prefer to use the picture without having to wait for film to be processed.
An instant picture can work. So can a stone tablet and chisel.

They don't have to be, but digital is sort of instant. No need to process and print the film to see them if you want to go back to original settings.

All he needs is a piece of paper and a pencil.

Fred said:
"If I can draw it on concrete: with a pencil; I can build it."
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Hi, Another possibility is RFI.
Tony Hwang wrote:

20 years ago I was in San Diego when the television news programs were reporting that US Navy ships were conducting tests on radio/radar gear that was driving all the garage door remote control system nuts. Garage doors all over the area were opening and closing over and over again with no apparent cause. People thought the doors were possessed.
TDD

Do you think it might be a good idea to give the model number? That way, someone who knew what he was talking about and was interested in helping would have something to go on....

OK sorry, 41A5021-2D made 5/99
Rich
Rich wrote:

Putting the model number and the word "manual" into Google search yields:
http://homeappliance.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/craftsman/41a50212d.html
Which contains everything Craftsman thinks you need to know about this device.
Spoiler alert: You will be disappointed.