Garage Door Opener will not close

This is a very old garage door opener. Brand name is "Auto Mate". It is probably 25 years old or even more. It was working fine until last week. There was a paint bucket which stopped the door while it was closing. After that I am unable to close the door. Every time I activate the door, it opens, but it will not reverse direction.

Before you ask, this door does not have an optical sensor for obstructions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Andrew Sarangan

Dude

The thing is called an OPENER. Openers OPEN things, not close them. If you want the door to CLOSE, you need a garage door CLOSER !!!

Next time, consider the name of the thing for clues to what it does !!!

Reply to
TPutmann

Reply to
RBM

It likely does have a force sensor. The first thing you want to do is to disconnect the opener and try moving it up and down manually. It should move smoothly and easily and it should be able to park at the top and bottom.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

lol, thats the first thing that came to my mind. I don't know why.

Sir, that will cost you an additional $399...

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Thanks for all the replies. The problem went away when I let the door open fully until it hit the upper limit. My guess is there must be a force switch which, when activated by a door obstruction, can only be reset by fully opening the door. However, due to other objects hanging from the ceiling, I usually never let the door open fully. I shut off the power before its opens too much. So I disconnected the door from the opener arm, and let the arm retreact fully. That solved the problem.

Reply to
asarangan

And, of course, you omitted that from your original post because??????

Jeez!

Reply to
Pop

Ah shatap your yap, ya whiney ole fartbag.

-- Pop aint shit, he's just Poop.

Reply to
G Henslee

You didn't even respond to the orginal question, so what are you whining about?

Reply to
asarangan

Go play with your garage door opener, genius. Tomorrow, clean out that shithole garage of yours.

Reply to
G Henslee