garage door opener that automatically closes?

Safety aside, I'd rather have an indicator inside house to monitor the door whether it's open or closed. Then I can close or open as I wish.

building which has such a door system. It actually turns on an exhaust fan for a few seconds when the door moves. I really don't know what a few seconds would do for removing CO. But, if the door is left open, after about a minute, it closes. It does have an infrared detector about 2 feet from the floor which will stop the door from closing and actually reverse it. BTW, the funny thing about the whole design is that if you don't want it to close, you simply stop it before it reaches top. It will then stay open forever. We use it that way all the time while loading and unloading. Pretty stupid design if you ask me.

I'd buy one.
Every morning on the way out, I
1. Watch the door close all the way. 2. Say to myself three times out loud "I closed the garage door". 3. Turn around and look as I drive off. 4. Still wonder if I forgot to close it.
This is all on top of the normal checklist (wallet - phone - keys - sunglasses - parking pass - badge - train ticket - zipper up - front door locked - back door locked - basement door locked - windows closed - space heater unplugged - furnace off/set - lights off). No wonder I'm late for work all the time.
There's nothing in the house worth stealing but the garage is full of tools and motorcycles. Too much temptation. It would be great if, after 30 minutes of no motion in the garage, the door would close on it's own.
-rev
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

My opener has been known to almost completely close, then reverse itself. One day I worked an entire 12 hour shift only to find the door wide open when I got home. My garage is attached to the house and is my normal method of entrance so essentially the front door to the house was wide open all day long. Luckily, nobody decided to take advantage of it or I'd be in a world of hurt.
Now I back out, hit the remote, and wait until the door has closed completely... and about 15 seconds more just to be sure. I don't move until I know it's closed all the way... ever.
I don't know why a manufacturer would have to worry particularly about injuring somebody with an unattended closing, particularly if the IR beams remain active. It seems like the worst that could happen would be that the door wouldn't close if something was in its way. It already does that.
I have read about devices that alert you within the house if the door stays open more than X number of minutes. Maybe that'd be an option.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:11:13 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

YEah, and if the door doesn't close when the label says it will, that's ANOTHER liability problem. All of which the manufacturers would be prepared to deal with or just tolerate, if they thought enough people would pay enough more to make it worthwhile.
Which they don't, or there's be a system.
(If you want your door to close in order to keep people for stealing your stuff, why are are you willing to leave before it does so? and how is the door going to know the difference between when you WANT the thing up, and when you just forgot to shut it?)
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

when returning home from work. Now I wait ten seconds whenever I close it, to make sure it stays closed.
aem sends...
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote: ...

That's indicative of an adjustment problem or an obstruction -- either the stroke is a little long or there's a building binding that on occasion is just enough to trip the force-limiting reversing switch.
An adjustment/cleaning/lubrication should eliminate the problem...ignoring it will probably just increase the frequency of events slowly.
As someone said if the door is in proper adjustment this feature would be as safe (no less a liability) as any already built into garage doors.
I don't even fiddle with my garage door for days before I leave the state to go to my summer place.. I can't imaging leaving the house for the summer through the garage door. I dissconnect the power and lock it into place.. I'd wonder all summer if I closed it or if it took...LOL..
As it is, I make a false departure on my trip (1200 miles) . I lock up and shut off everything real good , then I head out on the road (about half a mile) with my car packed. But I go back and get out and check everything one more time as a fail safe..
When I'm living at either place, I do what the other poster does , I watch it annaly till it completly closes and often look back. Sometimes the IR trips can work too good on those things..
The cat squishing option can only be a good thing..

That's probably treatable.
--
Regards,

Your money would probably be better spent on treatment for obsessive-compulsive disorder! :-)
--
--Tim Smith

The timers are readily available for electric openers and are typically used on apartment house door openers. They consist of a timer box with two lights, one green which when lit indicates it's safe to drive through the door opening and one red light when lit indicates not to drive through because the door is about to close. The timer can be set to start the close cycle after a predetermined amout of time ususually about two - five minutes.
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

-- -- Every morning on the way out, I -- -- 1. Watch the door close all the way. -- 2. Say to myself three times out loud "I closed the garage door". -- 3. Turn around and look as I drive off. -- 4. Still wonder if I forgot to close it.
If you go through steps 1 - 3 and *still* wonder if you forgot to close it, how would a time-controlled closing device relieve your anxiety?
Wouldn't you just spend your day wondering if the device worked? If you don't trust your own eyes, why do you think you would trust an electro-mechanical device that operates outside of your field of vision?
homi wrote:

I can't imagine anyone making such a thing. Just think of what would happen the first time a small child got killed, and even with all the current safety devices, it would happen.
I suggest that you work on another idea. You could have a light that would show inside whenever the door was up, or an audio alarm that would go off after a pre-determined time. It could be in the garage or in the house.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Which would not work in the case where you LEFT home.
HeyBub wrote:

Gee, I would think you could see it open as you left the house. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Legal issues aside (should it malfunction), I made mine out of X10 parts. USe a universal module to act as a switch and then get a controller to issue commands when you want the door closed. IF desired a powerflash module can be used to signal the controller the door is open and than have the controller go into a X minute timer and than send a close door command
Go to www.smarthome.com for x10 info. THere are other sites with cheaper parts http://www.smarthome.com/2010.html http://www.smarthome.com/4060.html http://www.smarthome.com/1140.html
The expensive one: http://www.smarthome.com/73101.html
There are also X10 sites that will tell you exactly how to do it also. Now the disclaimer: IT aint cheap, and its not always reliable (there are ways around that like sending each command twice)

Bad idea. The last thing I want is the garage door coming down on me. Gosh--how difficult is it to press a button?
I've been using this for a year now with no problems.... >>>> http://www.smarthome.com/73106.html
It simply replaces the main controlling unit inside the garage and has a receiver which mounts on the door to determine if it's open or close. It does not take away from any safety features of the opener. It still allows safety functions such as objects in the door area when closing.
The unit can be set to close in 2, 5, 10 and 20 minutes. With a simple touch of the main unit, you can deactivate it if you want to keep the door open while working inside the garage. AND...even if you forget to close the garage after that, it will still close in about 2 hours. You can also permanently deactivate with a touch of the button. But I've never used that feature yet.
With the wife forgetting to close the garage door when she leaves or comes home, I had to find something to auto close and this has been a blessing since I have many of my tools and motorcycles inside.
For $40, it was the best investment I made for my piece of mind.

:^)
aem sends....