garage door opener that automatically closes?

Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to find a garage door opener that automatically closes after a preset time.
the only thing I'm finding is an aftermarket 'butler' that works wirelessly, which is fine, but do any openers have this built in?

I've never seen one and seriously doubt that any opener manufacturer would offer such a thing because of the obvious liability issues with unattended closing.
On Jun 13, 3:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

that makes sense, but I wish they did - we had a car stolen after leaving the door up
homi wrote:

So have a decent security alarm company install a photoelectric or IR detector across the door opening which activates after that "preset time" you mentioned and will trigger a "burglar alarm" if a person (or car) passes through it.
Not eggsacklt rocket surgery for a decent alarm guy to figure out how to make that up.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:45:11 -0700, homi wrote:

They do have sensors that light up when the doors up. Only works if you go into the house and leave it up while at home, not if you leave it up after going to work.
Personally I've never had an issue because I never leave my door up ever. But thats mainly due to how my house is situated.

Most folks would learn from that to close the door.
--
Regards,

A neighbor was robbed last year. They conveniently left the back door open where the thief walked off with a laptop computer, prescription pain killers, and some cash--all while the occupants slept.

So you can't remember to close the door and want some company to build a product to help your failing memory? How bout a machine that wipes your ass? Or an automated refrigerator door closer..... WTF?
homi wrote:

Time to move.

I don't see that as an issue if the opener is adjusted correctly. Most openers are designed to immediately halt closing and reverse if contacting an obstruction.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

And it is malfunctions? Squashes the neighbor's cat? All you have to do is watch the TV ads the lawyers put on and the idea will never fly by a manufacturer.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Don't see it's really any different than the possibility of any opener malfunction...

True, but if you are there to push the button to start the close cycle, you can kick the cat our of the way. Having it come down by itself opens new worlds of liability.
Industrial applications lo longer have just a button to push to start the cycle, you must hold it in until the door closes.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What if it just spuriously opens/close? Or someone just down the street changes their controller and now it's working another one as well? All can/do happen...one can make up any scenario one wants.

Sure, make up the scenarios. but the penalty by a jury is going to be harsher when it is intentionally induced. Sleazy lawyers just love that stuff.

Yes, I agree. Two scenarios:
1 - A kid is killed because the controller closed spuriously. First, someone would have to prove the controller closed spuriously, as opposed to the kid or someone else activating it. Then, they'd probably have to show that it was caused by a specific design flaw that the manufacturer knew or should have known about as opposed to some random component failure that couldn't be anticipated.
2 - Same thing, but activated by someone's controller down the street. Extremely unlikely with today's controllers that use pseudo- random codes. And if it happened to occur, what's the chance you could establish that's how it happened, exactly who's controller did it, etc?
3 - Door closes after 2 hr delay as provided for by the maunfacturer and kills kid. Or kid just sticks his finger in between door sections and gets it crushed, for which there is no effective safety emergency stop. In this case, you have a case where the manufacturer designed it to allow it to close unattended.
Which case do you think is easier to prove/win?
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 07:49:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hmmmmm..... that sounds awfully close to being a positive thing :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Can't squash a cat. Cats are smart enough to get out of the way, especially with all the racket the door makes.

They should make the doors quieter. Might get a few more cats.