Garage door opener question

Page 1 of 3
I have just fought my last fight with diy garage door openers! The motor holds up, but the door refuses to open OR close when cold weather comes in. I have had the door checked several times and it is fine. I am now looking at the Allstar MVP opener or the Chamberlain LiftMaster opener, either to be installed and maintained by a garage door company. If there are any problems, let THEM take care of it. The Allstar is all metal gears, but I can not find any info about the Chamberlain. The Allstar is a full roller chain, no cable. The Chamberlain is the belt drive. The Allstar 20 year warranty covers the entire drive train and only 2 years on the electronics. The Chamberlain's lifetime waranty covers only the motor and belt, and 5 years on everything else. The Allstar supposedly has a "shock-absorbing door arm" to "soak up the sudden stops and starts of typical use, protecing the door and opener," however I see nothing in the manual about this arm. Anybody have any personal experience with either of these units? Thanks.
For the first time in the 18 months we've been in this house, our garage door suddenly opened on its own. I knew that these openers are (like many other things, such as cordless phones, remote temperature sensors, wireless networking equipment) "Part 15" devices whose users must put up with whatever interference they experience, but it suddenly struck me: What happens if the door opens when we are on vacation?
This is an older system that *may* perhaps be more susceptible to interference than more recent ones, but do people typically turn off or unplug their garage openers when they leave the house unoccupied for an extended period?
Perce
On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I certainly do.
Linux Registered User #327951

Mine has never opened in 20+ years so I never thought about it. In your case, yes, I'd unplug it.
On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Yep.
On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Yes. And lock it with a 2x4.
Years ago, my garage door was found open occasionally, when I could have sworn I had closed it. One day I was standing in the yard, and up goes my door on it's own. Hearing a vehicle coming, I looked across the street to see my neighbor's door opening along with mine. His wife had opened it from a block away. Theirs was a Chamberlain, and mine was a Genie. We got together and reset our codes differently. Problem ended. I know of another that an aircraft flying over during lineup to the runway would open occasionally.
RJ

On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Yes, the older systems were very susceptible to outside interference. The new ones have thousands or even millions of code combinations which change each time you operate the door, making it nearly impossible for someone besides you to open it. That's why I bought a new Chamberlain at Costco for about $160 and stopped worrying about it. In your case, I would definitely unplug the thing. Maybe every time you leave the house? :-)

The early ones were coded by a simple tone. Mine would sometimes open when planes from the airport transmitted, the police patrols transmitted or I used my ham radio. About thirty years ago they were transistorized and used coded signals to trigger operation. Never had an unintended opening since. However, I disable the door when I go on vacation.
SJF
On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:30:02 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Yes. People can always drive through with devices made for the purpose and just try random codes until they get something.

Chamberlain is probably the largest residential garage door opener company in the USA. Sears openers are from Chamberlain.
http://www.chamberlain.com/corp/new /
Never heard of Allstar, but I would not be surprised if it is not manufactured by Chamberlain! Well, maybe not!
http://www.allstarcorp.com / Greg

Have you looked into the IDrive units? My next garage will have one of them.
The belt driven ones are definitely quieter. Plan on a surge arrestor for the electronics, I lost the last brain on one cause of a spike. The instructions even say to install an arrestor for the opener.

That is what DIED in less than a year. A local company refuses to install them due to the persistant failure of the potmetal gears on the shaft. They explode when cold and under a heavy load. Great idea, but lousy quality materials and weak motor.

Yup, didn't think of that. I already have a whole house protector on hte box, but have extra on the computers and tv. Also the belt drive is a belt from the motor to the gear box to absorb shock, not driving the trolly.

My parents have an IDrive for several years now. It is made from Wayne Dalton and works well. Did you contact Wayne Dalton? I've found that they stand up behind their stuff.

Mike Dobony wrote:

Do you mean that after detaching the opener from the door, it opens and closes properly and will remain half way fully open and fully closed without assistance and moves without any unusual force?
What have you checked on the opener. It would seem the problem is not finding the problem, not the opener.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Yes, professionally checked.

openerS!!! I have had several openers with the same problem. EVERY one had the same problem.

Mike Dobony wrote:

Maybe someone needs to take another look at the door or the mounting of the openers. There just should not be that many failures. If the door is properly installed and a properly sized opener or any make properly installed should be able to function.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
" Maybe someone needs to take another look at the door or the mounting of the openers. There just should not be that many failures. If the door is properly installed and a properly sized opener or any make properly installed should be able to function. "
I agree. And has the door been checked out during cold weather, which is apparently the problem? A garage door shouldn't be very different in opening force in cold weather. It's possible something is shrinking and binding. What kind of lubricant is on it?
With the opener disconnected, the door should move easily up and down with one hand. At about the mid-point of travel, it should be just about balanced so that it will stay there if you let it go.

It has been professionally checked in cold weather operates fine by hand, but not with the various openers. The door was also professionally installed. I have tried a tremendous variety of lubridants, none of which makes any lasting change (longer than 1 day). The rollers are all free-wheeling. None of them is ever sticking. I have to check to see if thye are the cheap plastic bushing rollers or good all metal ones. If plastic, I will change them out.
Something is wrong with the door or installation. You should not be having these problems. I have 3 doors and openers for 8 years on my current house. So far only one needed a gear and a spring replaced.... It is the one used the most by far. All is Wayne Dalton equipment installed by Wayne Dalton and fixed by them. I never oil them until there is a problem.