Luxaire gas furnace help

Yes, it could be a bad regulator.

Might also be pressure problems on the service to the house. In many cities, the utility will come out and at least investigate problems like this. Worth a call.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Last night my gas furnace shut off and never came back on. I went down this morning and the pilot light had gone out. I relit the pilot thinking that was the problem but the furnace would not come on and while triggering the thermostat I could not hear it light (I usually can hear it).

I went back downstairs and the burner was lit so I toggeld the fan limit switch and turned on the fan. The air that was blowing was not very warm, not cold mind you but not what I usually get. I pulled the burner and cleaned it (its been two years, but its in good shape), changed the filter (relatively new, I had changed it back in march--last time I needed heat) and put everything back together. When I use the furnace the following happens:

Toggle thermostat, pilot lights burner, fan never comes on. If I turn the fan on manually the air is not as warm as it should be. It appears to me that the flame on the burner is not as high as it should be, maybe half as high as I would expect.....it looks to be about 1/8 inch of solid blue flame off the burner...looks too low to properly heat the heat exchanger or the fan switch. Is it typical for the regulator to go bad resulting in a low flame? ...am I even on the right track?

THank you for any insite you can provide.

Chris

Reply to
thenowhereroom

Pretty old Luxaire if it still has a pilot to light, I just took a truck load of furnaces to the metal house, and none of them had pilots to light, either spark or glow coil, and at least 12 years old or more.

Anyway, to the prob at hand, definantly a lack of gas or pressure to the burners, my first guess is what speedy said, the regulator/ (gas valve diaphram) is bad, it's the rubber part inside the valve or solenoid itself, about $30 to $50 at the supply house, you really need a pressure guage to be sure, should be 7 in. coming into the house.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mrkool