Garage door opener hum?

My garage door opener has developed a low frequency hum, not while operating, but just standing by. I don't recall it making such sounds during warmer weather. But, now that it is quite cold I can hear it while in the garage. What could be making the sound and is it a sign of a problem? It sounds a bit like the hum of a battery charger. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Pelorus

It sounds like a transformer part of the power supply for the control circuits. It is not a good sign, but it may continue working for years without any more problems other than the sound.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Mine hums all the time and has ever since I moved in over four years ago.

Reply to
J Kelly

If you have an older operator that has a transformer that is separate from the logic board, it is most likely the transfomer that is humming. A transformer is made up of metal plates that are glued together and as the glue breaks down the plates will vibrate which causes the hum. If this is the cause, it will have no effect on the operation of the opener and the part does not need to be replaced.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Most likely the transformer, but could be a loosened fastener which is allowing some other part to "sing" when exited by the vibration of the transformer.

If it bothers you enough and is nice enough to keep humming when you take off the access cover, you can poke gently around with a wooden chopstick and see if there's something you can push against which makes the sound go away. (Keep your other hand in your pocket while you do that, I wouldn't want to find out you slipped and took 120 volts through your chest.)

If you can locate the "sore tooth", try swabbing some 5 minute epoxy in an appropriate place to freeze up whatever's loose.

Good Luck,

-- Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

replying to Doordoc, @door opener wrote: Is a Galaxy 850 - Overhead Door - installed sometime in 2014-2015, considered old ? Ours just developed a constant hum. Not loud, but can definitely be heard.

Reply to
caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_14285