Garage door eratic using remote

Has anyone run across this problem: The garage door opens and closes fine with the wired control. When using the remotes ( I have 2 and they both have the same symptom), the door moves 6 inches then stops. If I hit the remote again, the door reverses for 6 inches. This doesn't occur all the time...sometimes the remotes work fine. Any ideas? Thanks

I had erratic behavior out of mine but unlike you it was with both the remotes and the hard wired button. So, this may not be the fix for you but mine turned out to be the photo eyes needed cleaning. Both sides had dust and cop webs all over the eyes and a good cleaning cleared up the erratic problem.
Hope this helps...
Ed
new batteries??

Find the receiver's antenna wire and straighten it out or reposition it. You can also try mounting the receiver at the door's jamb and threading the antenna behind the stop molding so that it is exposed outdoors in front of the door.
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

Does your door have the photo beam sensors? Sounds like a similar problem I had. A certain times during the day, the sun would shine directly into the receiver and cause the same symptoms you described.
The problem could have been easily resolved at the time of installation if the contractor had noted how the house was sited with respect to sunrise-sunset.
As others have said, it could also be something blocking or partially obstructing your beam.
Beachcomber