Garage door chain not moving

My garage door got stuck about half way up on a cold night. It went up and down about a foot a couple of times and then stopped moving all together. I pulled the string to disconnect it, sprayed some lubricant on the rollers, and am moving it manually now because when I hit the button, the motor runs, but it doesn't look like the chain is moving. Could the chain have jumped off track or something?

Reply to
jaybear

The chain "connector" to the system may have come disconnected.

manually move the door all the way up and then all the way down, to see if the chain "reconnects" to the connector, then try the motororized system.

Let us know the outcome.

--James--

Reply to
James

The "up and down" sounds like it bound on something and reversed on the over-torque switch until one of two or three things happened --

1) Sheared a shear pin on the shaft to the drive gear (if you're fortunate and there was one) which is designed to protect more expensive stuff from breaking 2) Stripped gears in transmission driving the drive gear 3) Stripped the gear teeth itself 4) If you're lucky, did just jump of the gear.

Disconnect door from chain, get where you can see what is actually going on (but don't get a sleeve or something caught anywhere) and use the remote or other way to actuate it to see what is/isn't actually moving. (After, of course, simply getting up there and looking to see if you can see something really obvious like the chain not on the drive gear).

Before trying the door again, you'll want to find out what was the cause of the hang up that caused the problem to begin with or you'll simply do more damage the next time if it isn't fixed.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks, I will give this a try.

-Jaybear-