Gap seems big for caulk - help!

House built 1932. Everything's old. The space where the shower tile meets the tub needs recaulking. After I get all the old stuff off, is there anything I can use to fill that space before I caulk? Can I put some grout in there so I don't go through so much caulk? Seems like since I have to put it on so thick, it might not ever cure.
theres some stuff called ummm backer rod (?) i think. looks like foam weatherstripping. put that in there and caulk away.

Backer rod....
damn we're good. same answer, same time lol

You guys ARE good. Thanks!
It comes in several sizes. Measure your gap first.

On 17 Nov 2005 13:48:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yep. they sell some foam ropelike material for that. ACE hardware has it. I do not recall the name of the stuff.
----- Famous saying !!! When you put your caulk in a hole, be sure your caulk is hard <LOL>